Production of new EMG swan-neck tonearms.

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Production of new EMG swan-neck tonearms.

Post by Curt A »

Graham,
There may not be a huge market for these EMG parts, but there may be a large market for Victor/HMV offset "J" tubes. I have tried making one before, but the tubing is difficult to bend, as you noted. The tracking on Victor/HMV machines is terrible, but with a replacement part a lot of records could be saved and the modification would be reversible as needed...

Screenshot 2023-12-20 at 9.57.12 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-12-20 at 9.57.12 AM.png (21.46 KiB) Viewed 298 times
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Aleksandr wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:14 am Graham,hi!
What is the internal diameter of the tube at the inlet and outlet of the tonearm.
The internal tube diameter of the swinging section of the tonearm where the soundbox attaches is 0.460" (11.68 mm) and 0.745" (18.92 mm) where the tonearm joins the conduit. The progression is conical, not exponential at this stage, of course. May I enquire the reason for your question ? Best wishes.

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Curt A wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:05 am Graham,
There may not be a huge market for these EMG parts, but there may be a large market for Victor/HMV offset "J" tubes. I have tried making one before, but the tubing is difficult to bend, as you noted. The tracking on Victor/HMV machines is terrible, but with a replacement part a lot of records could be saved and the modification would be reversible as needed...
A very interesting idea and suggestion. I have to say I have not studied Victor/HMV "J" tubes but fully understand the need to improve the extremely poor tracking ! A lifebelt may well assist as an interim measure but your idea of a complete replacement "J" tube would ostensibly seem to have great merit. I am afraid I am involved in many projects at present and am unable to give serious thought to another but, no doubt, others may well pick up and develop the concept ?

Aleksandr
Victor Jr

Post by Aleksandr »

Interested in the opportunity adapt to sound box victor orthophonic.
The tonearm for such sound boxes is wider in diameter, since the air resistance behind these sound boxes should be less.This is probably the reason for the failure to use orthophonics on the emg gramophone.