HMV Model 163...variations, or not?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Phono48
Victor IV

Re: HMV Model 163...variations, or not?

Post by Phono48 »

Steve wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:11 pm Wish me luck. We need to stop this leg cutting business right now!!!
Well said Steve. It's nothing but pure vandalism!

Barry

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

Okay, so here we go... :mrgreen:
No more leg cutting, and here we see the end result of restoring this already crippled 163.
Possibly the first red, yes red, HMV 163?
It very possibly has become a bastard, I am prepared to hear that, or whatever one choose to call it.
BUT, it plays as wonderful as any 163, and I like it a lot better now than in its "original" stripped and re finished condition.
I like it so much, that I have decided not to sell it, but keep it in my bedroom, next to a red recliner, where I can sit close to the oven
on cold winter evenings and play my favorite 78 rpm records :rose:

There is only one thing left to do, to attach the new decal, bought from Peru. I have looked at it, but am afraid of destroying it. Does someone know the procedure for removing the decal from the paper? I tried to loosen it with the nails, but it sits pretty hard, so I decided to ask before getting sorry.

PS. The grill cloth is bought from England, from a supplier of tested and tried loudspeaker cloths.
Attachments
okt 23 049.jpg
okt 23 048.jpg
okt 23 047.jpg
okt 23 046.jpg
okt 23 045.jpg

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

You don't peel the decal dry. You soak it in water first and then it'll easily slip off its backing but be careful it is SO easy to tear the decals when placing them! The decal should have come with instructions. I know this seller in Peru and his work is outstanding. If you follow his instructions you'll be fine!

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Oh dear, I am happy I asked here. The decal came with no instructions, he must have forgotten to attach it.
Steve, do you remember how many minutes it should be soaked, in cold or luke warm water, before it slips off the paper?

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Considering this machine had been sawed off & badly damaged, and most folks would have parted it out, there's nothing wrong with a coat of paint!

If I'd been doing it I'd have painted it full black & gone for a Chinese lacquer style finish, but the little decorations would have taken forever to apply. An Art Deco geometric stenciled look would have also been fun--but there is nothing wrong about the red it's wearing!

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

I decided to use a red stain (two layers), that is sold for decorating art objects etc. On top I have applied 4 layers of shellac to allow it to shine, and protect the stain. It has been an interesting and time consuming work. And now it fits the color of my recliner, and bedroom curtains, and well..I wanted something that was bright, and not dark/black this time, since my sitting room is dark enough already from the rest of my gramophones.
Now my bedroom is keeping its bright style... :lol:

Watanabehi
Victor II

Post by Watanabehi »

nostalgia wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:25 am Okay, so here we go... :mrgreen:
No more leg cutting, and here we see the end result of restoring this already crippled 163.
Possibly the first red, yes red, HMV 163?
It very possibly has become a bastard, I am prepared to hear that, or whatever one choose to call it.
BUT, it plays as wonderful as any 163, and I like it a lot better now than in its "original" stripped and re finished condition.
I like it so much, that I have decided not to sell it, but keep it in my bedroom, next to a red recliner, where I can sit close to the oven
on cold winter evenings and play my favorite 78 rpm records :rose:

There is only one thing left to do, to attach the new decal, bought from Peru. I have looked at it, but am afraid of destroying it. Does someone know the procedure for removing the decal from the paper? I tried to loosen it with the nails, but it sits pretty hard, so I decided to ask before getting sorry.

PS. The grill cloth is bought from England, from a supplier of tested and tried loudspeaker cloths.
Looks neat, and you did good job, but for me it is too bright. I rather prefer Chinese a little bit darker red lacquer.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

I don't know what Chinese lacquer is, and it for sure wouldn't be something I would get in my area. Actually, I had to choose from this red color, or orange, and well..it was an easy decision. :lol: But that said, yes...I would also have preferred a somewhat darker red.
Here we can see how it appeared this morning, it is somewhat darker, than the uploaded photos from yesterday, in different light conditions.
Attachments
okt 23 014.jpg
okt 23 013.jpg
okt 23 013.jpg (54.93 KiB) Viewed 3112 times

Watanabehi
Victor II

Post by Watanabehi »

nostalgia wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:08 am I don't know what Chinese lacquer is, and it for sure wouldn't be something I would get in my area. Actually, I had to choose from this red color, or orange, and well..it was an easy decision. :lol: But that said, yes...I would also have preferred a somewhat darker red.
Here we can see how it appeared this morning, it is somewhat darker, than the uploaded photos from yesterday, in different light conditions.
Yes, it looks better in the photos. Thanks.