German Electrola gramophone Identification / Restoration Tips & Advice

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
spinalflow
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Record Collector In Residence

German Electrola gramophone Identification / Restoration Tips & Advice

Post by spinalflow »

I recently found this machine in my local classifieds. It was listed in non working slightly worn condition for $80
1.jpg
2.1.jpg
Before purchasing I did a little research. I could not find the exact model although, I was able to determined it was very similar to a HMV 109 or between a 107 & 109 German made. I could not find much else on it. Although it seems many of the HMV motors are similar. I am new to gramophone motors and HMV's although, as I researched them it seemed that many people around the world like them, especially the portables. I have worked on Edison's and Victor's so I figured what better way to learn about the gramophone motors than this project.
After days of trying to reach the seller and more days and failed meeting. I was finally able to get him to meet me, he asked to meet at a burger king after 10pm. Making it a bit difficult to do any real inspection before purchase. However, I did come prepared with a good light and tool kit.
The seller said he had it for a couple years and could never make it work and had tried to sell it for $250 gradually lowering the price over the years. He would not provide any other history.
I begin my inspection with the crank arm which is dangling unattached in the hole. I screw it in, giving it just a couple turns to see that it cranks, it does but feels a little stiff. I then check the reproducer. It looked nice and clean however in the dark, I failed to notice the missing needle holder screw and broken piece of the back side. I then release the break and it begins to spin, only for a few seconds...However enough for the sellers eyes to light up. At this point the seller is ready to back out of the deal and ask for more money as he had never seen it move. I then instinctively remove the platter while asking him if I can look deeper and take it apart to find out if it works or not. I was really hoping to share with him what I could find out about his machine and make a fair deal. He then freaks out that I have even lifted the platter off and says I can't take it apart any more. I try to calm him down as I replace the platter. He is now very unsure about the deal. I sensed mainly he was thinking he should try to charge more now that he saw it may actually work. He was then very clear there would be no negotiation. My inspection was over take it or leave it..... Based on what I had seen I knew that it cranks, the guy had just failed to properly screw in the arm all these years. It also spins letting me know the motor is more or less intact. I gave him the $80 and got outta that sketchy neighborhood.
Not sure what the actual value may be? I figured worst case I was paying to learn about this motor and unique horn design.

Upon further inspection everything looked to be in pretty good condition other than the old grease was dry and crusty. I did a lite cleaning an re lube. The brake needed oil many years ago. It is working smoothly now. It seems to play fine. The motor #426 manufactured by The gramophone Co. LTD Hayes, Miiddlesex seems to have all the parts and is in nice condition. I could not find any online mention of this motor# I suppose the motor was made for the German market and the cabinet carpentry was done in Germany? The reproducer has some small issues as mentioned, otherwise in decent condition. Arm and bearing are in nice shape. It only cranks about 15 times until stiff and plays correct speed for about ⅔'s through one side before slowing down. It seems obvious the spring is as crusty as the excess grease I had already cleaned. It is much lighter weight than my similiar sized heavy oak Victor VV- IX

I am planning to restore and preserve it as best as I can.
Any thoughts on removing, cleaning and reusing the old spring vs installing new spring? Best source for buying a new spring? I suppose the only way to know how much life is left in a spring is to clean it, repack and test?
It seems someone got half way through removing the stain on the out side. Inside still has the original finish. Any recommendations for proper stain to finish the job close to original?
Perhaps someone can shed more light on this model or line?
Any ideas on manufacture date?
I'm assuming the logo under top is the distributor name as the address is in Poland?
I read somewhere the factory that had produced it was destroyed by the Russians in 1945 and they took the remaining Electrola parts to be sold in Russia?

Thanks for any info or advice on this British/German/Polish machine found in the American southwest.
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg

CarlosV
Victor IV

Re: German Electrola gramophone Identification / Restoration Tips & Advice

Post by CarlosV »

The machine you bought is the Electrola-branded version of the HMV 103, that shares with it all parts including the motor 426. It is a relatively common machine in the UK, less so in Germany, but not very popular among most collectors, as happens with all table tops. The motor should take some dozens of turns to fully wind, so as you mentioned it may be that the grease is petrified - a common problem with the HMV motors. The motor is a simple one, with only one spring, so if you are brave and can withstand some dirty mess you can take it apart and clean up the spring and barrel, replacing the old grease with new one. I have one of these with the HMV logo, it has a good sound, but its motor can barely play one side fully wound.

spinalflow
Victor Jr

Post by spinalflow »

Carlos,
Thanks for your help positively identifying this machine. It will make sourcing the right parts much easier. I am going to dismantle, clean rebuild and re oil / lube everything. I have replaced springs on other machines so I am prepared to lock the casing down and deal with the mess involved. This one looks pretty straight forward. However, if it is only able to play one side per crank I may opt to buy a new spring. Get it working and looking nice for a perspective new owner.

Thanks again for the info!

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

spinalflow wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:03 pm Carlos,
Thanks for your help positively identifying this machine. It will make sourcing the right parts much easier. I am going to dismantle, clean rebuild and re oil / lube everything. I have replaced springs on other machines so I am prepared to lock the casing down and deal with the mess involved. This one looks pretty straight forward. However, if it is only able to play one side per crank I may opt to buy a new spring. Get it working and looking nice for a perspective new owner.

Thanks again for the info!
You're welcome! As to the motor, I think its limitation is not due to an old spring, but that it is really an underpowered motor for such machine, so exchanging the old for a new spring may not help much. But mine plays through a 12 inch record even though I never cleaned the spring, so if you regrease it you will not have problems in playing at least one side, and with some luck even 2 sides of a 10 incher.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

This machine sounds pretty well, having the exponential horn, etc. It's the following degree starting with the hmv101. A nice little thing... These are workhorses, easy to repair, and the only risk when buying them is that they have no motor or horn, but once stated these parts are there, no problem. A good purchase.
Inigo

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

To answer a couple of points which you raised in your original post :

At the time your machine was made, Breslau was part of the German Empire. It was restored to Poland after WW2.

The Electrola factory near Potsdam closed in 1931, so it cannot have been destroyed by the Russians in 1945!

spinalflow
Victor Jr

Post by spinalflow »

Thanks!
It is great to know the history associated with these machines. I had a feeling Breslau was once part of Germany. Can't wait to get some time to start working on it.

NEKTREG
Victor O

Post by NEKTREG »

Breslau was not „restored“ to poland - in fact it was part of Germany/Prussia more than 800 years and his citiziens were nearly all germans until they were brutally banised from there native land by the sovjets.

Therefore gramophones from this area are quiet scare.

The 103 is quiet common in oak but not in mahagony like this one! A nice little find. It was sold with that decal between 1928-1931.

Electrola had two factories for machines and records. The one in Nowawes(Potsdam) was abolished in 1932.
Attachments
BAFA8596-46AF-41E7-8CBF-1DD414338218.jpeg
7E12A545-992D-45BE-B336-EE93231FB8EE.jpeg
FE660663-1431-4C16-8364-75C3880FBC31.jpeg

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Even though it might be common and underpowered, for me it wood be a keeper based on its history. Imagine surviving WWII intact...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Hoodoo
Victor O

Post by Hoodoo »

A nice machine and for a good price, I think.
The slowing of the turntable after ⅔ of a record could also be because the governor gears are not meshing quite right and maybe need some lube on the various bearings.
Single spring motors are good to do for a first time rebuild, as they are not as complex as multi spring units, but the workings are the same.
Have fun.