HMV Gramophone ID

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
steve102
Victor Jr

HMV Gramophone ID

Post by steve102 »

I have what I think is an HMV Model 5 mahogany horn gramophone base. The machine and reference numbers on the underside label are illegible but there is a date stamp of October 1916. It has a single spring motor which does not correspond with the HMV catalogue description for the Model 5 which details a double spring motor. Is this definitely a Model 5 and if so, were single spring motors ever fitted to this model from new?

Thanks,
Steve
Attachments
IMG_6869.jpg
IMG_6865.jpg
IMG_6875.jpg
IMG_6879.jpg

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: HMV Gramophone ID

Post by Steve »

It's definitely a Model 5 but if it dates from 1916 it's possible it was fitted with a single spring motor due to shortages experienced during WW1.

Conversely I have a Model 2 (previously Intermediate Monarch) from the same period which normally was fitted with a single spring motor but instead has a double!

Adamp1gramophone
Victor Jr

Post by Adamp1gramophone »

Definitely a Model 5, as Steve confirmed. Lovely bases!

steve102
Victor Jr

Post by steve102 »

Many thanks for confirmng the model number and information on the motor. The motor runs well and I've replaced the rubber gaskets on the Exhibition soundbox. I just need to look out for a suitable horn and elbow.

Dulcetto
Victor II

Post by Dulcetto »

steve102 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:54 am Many thanks for confirmng the model number and information on the motor. The motor runs well and I've replaced the rubber gaskets on the Exhibition soundbox. I just need to look out for a suitable horn and elbow.
Check out UK ebay in a couple of weeks or so for horn elbows, I have several spare elbows I will be offering , including some G&T / HMV Regards

steve102
Victor Jr

Post by steve102 »

Thanks Dulcetto, I'll keep an eye out for your eBay listings.

Adamp1gramophone
Victor Jr

Post by Adamp1gramophone »

Dulcetto wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:53 am
steve102 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:54 am Many thanks for confirmng the model number and information on the motor. The motor runs well and I've replaced the rubber gaskets on the Exhibition soundbox. I just need to look out for a suitable horn and elbow.
Check out UK ebay in a couple of weeks or so for horn elbows, I have several spare elbows I will be offering , including some G&T / HMV Regards
I’ve sent you a private message Dulcetto!