Where is David Smith?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
poodling around
Victor V

Re: Where is David Smith?

Post by poodling around »

Phono48 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:37 pm
poodling around wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:24 am
I often think of all the wonderful gramophone items which have been thrown away over the past decades. So many EMG soundboxes, HMV documentation and so on. All presumably buried in landfill or maybe lying at the bottom of the sea having been dumped by barges. :(
I was given an EMG when I was a kid, My Mother wouldn't have it in the house, so it sat in the shed, where my Mother used to hang damp washing over the horn to dry, with the inevitable "drooping" happening after a time. Eventually I was bought a Dansette Junior record player, so Mother could see no reason for me to hang on to the EMG, and while I was at school one day she carted it over to the local rubbish dump. Can't say I was really upset though, I always thought it was a hideous machine, and would rather have had the kid next-door's HMV 102 portable.

Barry
Great recollection ! Isn't there a song called '"We're Going to Hang out the Washing on the EMG" ?

............. and of course, the moral of the story is, 'mum knows best' !

Otherwise, this reminds me of those stories I hear from time to when a couple fall out and when one of them is out all their belongings are thrown out of the up-stairs window ! Could have been worse then .......... :)