Those 'Top Hat' IM Thorn Needles ....

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
poodling around
Victor V

Those 'Top Hat' IM Thorn Needles ....

Post by poodling around »

I notice that they state that they 'suit autograms'.

I wonder what 'autograms' actually are ?

Does any-one know by any chance ?

(Image below taken from ebay listing: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/305159413505 ... R4CHwcHZYg
Attachments
ag.jpg

Zkeener323
Victor I

Re: Those 'Top Hat' IM Thorn Needles ....

Post by Zkeener323 »

Meaning record changers. Fiber needles can often be used multiple time before needing to be resharpened.

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

IMs are much the same as BCNs except most are thinner, and sometimes the shanks were coated, I believe with a wash of shellac.

It's supposition, but I believe the same "cottage industry" workshop was making both BCNs and IMs at the end of production. Ken Erwood was involved at the time the IM needle making workshop closed, and he took over all the stock and machinery, which I now have and use (all except for the stock of newly finished thorn needles that may have existed at the time).

BCN offered thorn needles in a variety of types including for electrical pickups and autochangers. I have many examples and have never found any real functional difference between the types!
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

poodling around
Victor V

Zkeener323 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:26 am Meaning record changers. Fiber needles can often be used multiple time before needing to be resharpened.
Thanks Zkeener !

I am unsure as to what 'Record Changers' are to be honest but guess they are like Juke Boxes or machines which can play more than one record at a time ?

Probably electric then ?

poodling around
Victor V

Orchorsol wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:54 pm IMs are much the same as BCNs except most are thinner, and sometimes the shanks were coated, I believe with a wash of shellac.

It's supposition, but I believe the same "cottage industry" workshop was making both BCNs and IMs at the end of production. Ken Erwood was involved at the time the IM needle making workshop closed, and he took over all the stock and machinery, which I now have and use (all except for the stock of newly finished thorn needles that may have existed at the time).

BCN offered thorn needles in a variety of types including for electrical pickups and autochangers. I have many examples and have never found any real functional difference between the types!
Very interesting ! Thanks Orchorsol.

tim w
Victor Jr

Post by tim w »

May I suggest that autograms are referring to home recordings or vending machine recordings that have a softer surface neccessitating thorn use.

poodling around
Victor V

tim w wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:59 am May I suggest that autograms are referring to home recordings or vending machine recordings that have a softer surface neccessitating thorn use.
Very interesting.

I can see that this might have been the case. They would probably work very well with these kind of recordings. Steel needles were 'prohibited' so perhaps you are correct.