Comparison of Two Mica Soundboxes: EMG Mica and HMV Exhibition EMG Conversion

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Watanabehi
Victor II

Comparison of Two Mica Soundboxes: EMG Mica and HMV Exhibition EMG Conversion

Post by Watanabehi »

I posted two different youtube demonstrations of those two mica soundboxes. Please check the following. I hope you like it.

https://youtu.be/GncJxSb_C6k (EMG Mica soundbox)

https://youtu.be/f2DcXvjjokM (HMV Exhibition Converted to EMG Usage, which I bought recently on UK ebay)

Watanabehi
Victor II

Re: Comparison of Two Mica Soundboxes: EMG Mica and HMV Exhibition EMG Conversion

Post by Watanabehi »

Watanabehi wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:59 pm I posted two different youtube demonstrations of those two mica soundboxes. Please check the following. I hope you like it.

https://youtu.be/GncJxSb_C6k (EMG Mica soundbox)

https://youtu.be/f2DcXvjjokM (HMV Exhibition Converted to EMG Usage, which I bought recently on UK ebay)
Another one is on UK ebay.
Attachments
Another soundbox converted to EMG usage
Another soundbox converted to EMG usage

CarlosV
Victor IV

Re: Comparison of Two Mica Soundboxes: EMG Mica and HMV Exhibition EMG Conversion

Post by CarlosV »

Interesting comparison, thanks for posting! Both have a good sound, but I could not discern a significant difference between them. Except for glaring differences in sound, You Tube recordings are too compressed to allow a comparison.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

CarlosV wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:50 pm Interesting comparison, thanks for posting! Both have a good sound, but I could not discern a significant difference between them. Except for glaring differences in sound, You Tube recordings are too compressed to allow a comparison.
I can't honestly see why there should be any difference between them, to be honest. If one thing might contribute to slightly better bass, it could be that Meltrope style back with very soft rubber isolator but as you say, we won't hear that via a compressed video.

Watanabehi
Victor II

Post by Watanabehi »

Steve wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:01 pm
CarlosV wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:50 pm Interesting comparison, thanks for posting! Both have a good sound, but I could not discern a significant difference between them. Except for glaring differences in sound, You Tube recordings are too compressed to allow a comparison.
I can't honestly see why there should be any difference between them, to be honest. If one thing might contribute to slightly better bass, it could be that Meltrope style back with very soft rubber isolator but as you say, we won't hear that via a compressed video.
Steve, you are right and have good ears. The EMG one has a hardened rubber gasket and the HMV Exhibition has a new soft gasket. I am 71 years old and still can tell the differences in terms of the sound.

By the way, Martin Herrick told me that he is making an EMGinn Expert type soundbox. I will buy it if it has the same price as one I bought from him.

anchorman
Victor II

Post by anchorman »

with headphone on you should be able to hear it even in a youtube video. Ahmed shared a video with me some time ago where he made a very compliant isolator for one of his soundboxes, and I could immediately hear the difference, the bass was much more pronounced with the softer/compliant isolator. Which is how it should be, considering the mathematical modeling of the soundbox published in the early gramophone books.

anchorman
Victor II

Post by anchorman »

Watanabehi wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:14 pm
Steve, you are right and have good ears. The EMG one has a hardened rubber gasket and the HMV Exhibition has a new soft gasket. I am 71 years old and still can tell the differences in terms of the sound.

By the way, Martin Herrick told me that he is making an EMGinn Expert type soundbox. I will buy it if it has the same price as one I bought from him.
I just saw the Expert type posted to eBay from him.

I'm rather surprised at how much difference there is in the sound just based on the isolator alone. It would be interesting to hear a comparison of the two soundboxes using the same isolator.

Watanabehi
Victor II

Post by Watanabehi »

anchorman wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:00 pm

I'm rather surprised at how much difference there is in the sound just based on the isolator alone. It would be interesting to hear a comparison of the two soundboxes using the same isolator.
Really? I can't find the Expert type posted from him. Is it already sold?

anchorman
Victor II

Post by anchorman »

Watanabehi wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:19 pm
anchorman wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:00 pm

Really? I can't find the Expert type posted from him. Is it already sold?
I must have been incorrect, I looked again and didn't see it. But I saw it somewhere!