Paillard HR/LR motors

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
anchorman
Victor II

Paillard HR/LR motors

Post by anchorman »

Has anyone come across one of these? The info on Chunny's website says they can play seven and ten 12 inch sides per winding. Pretty nice run time! I wonder that these didn't catch on. Perhaps the drivetrain wore out too fast from the powerful spring force needed to run for such a long time?

https://gramophonemuseum.com/paillard.html

poodling around
Victor V

Re: Paillard HR/LR motors

Post by poodling around »

anchorman wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:00 pm Has anyone come across one of these? The info on Chunny's website says they can play seven and ten 12 inch sides per winding. Pretty nice run time! I wonder that these didn't catch on. Perhaps the drivetrain wore out too fast from the powerful spring force needed to run for such a long time?

What you mention sounds very interesting.

I couldn't see a reference to this when I used your link though. (I probably missed something obvious). :roll:

Can you please 'clue me in' a bit more so I can see which motor you are referring to ?

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Watch model 126 Walkyria in the catalogue at the end of the page. When you touch the photos they become larger and more detailed and you can zoom and read better. That model has a huge spring motor that plays 12 sides of 27cm in one run!
Inigo

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Inigo wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:46 pm Watch model 126 Walkyria in the catalogue at the end of the page. When you touch the photos they become larger and more detailed and you can zoom and read better. That model has a huge spring motor that plays 12 sides of 27cm in one run!
I couldn't find any reference on the site to "126" or "Walkyria". :(

The 98 model appears at the bottom of the page I see.

I DID spot the LR which has a running time of 10 12" records.

OrtoFan

anchorman
Victor II

Post by anchorman »

poodling around wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:25 pm
anchorman wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:00 pm Has anyone come across one of these? The info on Chunny's website says they can play seven and ten 12 inch sides per winding. Pretty nice run time! I wonder that these didn't catch on. Perhaps the drivetrain wore out too fast from the powerful spring force needed to run for such a long time?

What you mention sounds very interesting.

I couldn't see a reference to this when I used your link though. (I probably missed something obvious). :roll:

Can you please 'clue me in' a bit more so I can see which motor you are referring to ?
Keep scrolling down the page, easier to see on a computer, rather than mobile device the way the web page is set up. Click on the picture that looks like from a catalog page with the motor named “HR” or “LR” and it will give basic specifications.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Yes, there are so many models that one gets lost... What collection of motors and gramophones!
Inigo

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

I don't often have these two large Paillard motors on the same table at the same time. So here are some pics. The Paillard HR 2-spring and the (unmarked) Paillard LG 3-spring.
The LG motor is from my latest project, an Australian SALONOLA Console gramophone. More on that coming later and we shall see if the Paillard LG can really play 10 12" sides.
Attachments
Paillard-HR-LG-3.jpg
Paillard-HR-LG-2.jpg
Paillard-HR-LG-1.jpg

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

That looks like the motor used in the Bassanophone, in which case I can attest, it does indeed play 10 12" records!

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Steve wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:31 am That looks like the motor used in the Bassanophone, in which case I can attest, it does indeed play 10 12" records!
Steve, this is the Bassanophone motor, patiently awaiting to be re-installed. Not sure if it is the same model as the ones on the photos, it has three springs - and weighs a ton!
Attachments
20240416_204542.jpg