Gramophone Co Ltd - Metal record carrying cases

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
poodling around
Victor V

Gramophone Co Ltd - Metal record carrying cases

Post by poodling around »

I have two of these but know very little about them.

I guess they are from the 1920's as they state 'Gramophone Company Ltd' and not HMV ?

They seem very heavy and built like 'tanks' - which makes me wonder why they were seemingly 'over-engineered', because there were presumably lighter 'leatherette' record carrying cases around which were perfectly suitable for protecting records while they were transported ?

Does any-one know anything about these (rather odd, to me) record carrying cases ?
Attachments
orc.jpg
orc2.jpg

flying500
Victor I

Re: Gramophone Co Ltd - Metal record carrying cases

Post by flying500 »

I have a couple of these as well as a rather nice octaganal Decca version.
I guess that they were just a novel heavy duty version of the 'carry case' built to withstand the rigours of public transport and not so refined suspenion if you were lucky enough to own a car!

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

The first Gramophone Company metal record carrying case was introduced in 1921, modified in 1922 and listed until 1927.
A new version lasted until supplies were disrupted during WW2.
The post war cases were made of plywood covered in Rexine and were listed until 1950/51.

poodling around
Victor V

epigramophone wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:36 pm The first Gramophone Company metal record carrying case was introduced in 1921, modified in 1922 and listed until 1927.
The post war cases were made of plywood covered in Rexine and were listed until 1950/51.
Very interesting indeed epigramophone.

I assume that mine are eary versions because they 'say' 'Gramophone Company' and not 'His Master's Voice'.

Thanks as always.

poodling around
Victor V

flying500 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:20 pm I have a couple of these as well as a rather nice octaganal Decca version.
I guess that they were just a novel heavy duty version of the 'carry case' built to withstand the rigours of public transport and not so refined suspenion if you were lucky enough to own a car!
Very good !

Are your two exactly the same as mine I wonder ?

Interesting explanation you give about 'the rigours of public transport'. I guess using these cases means the records could survive a kick from a public transport horse !

It would be great if one day you could up-load a photo of your Decca one !

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

poodling around wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:47 pm
epigramophone wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:36 pm The first Gramophone Company metal record carrying case was introduced in 1921, modified in 1922 and listed until 1927.

I assume that mine are eary versions because they 'say' 'Gramophone Company' and not 'His Master's Voice'.

Thanks as always.
By the time the metal cases were introduced, the HMV name was in use on most of the Gramophone Company's products.
I cannot say why it does not appear on these cases.

poodling around
Victor V

epigramophone wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:59 am
poodling around wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:47 pm

Thanks as always.
By the time the metal cases were introduced, the HMV name was in use on most of the Gramophone Company's products.
I cannot say why it does not appear on these cases.
Very interesting informaton.

I think that one of the best things about being interested in gramophones are 'the mysteries' ! The un-known.

Fascinating (to me) stuff indeed.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

I also have two of these, so it might be de rigueur for us collectors! I'm not sure what the mystery is (?) really but they are Gramophone Co. ("HMV") record carrying cases from the 1920's, nothing more, nothing less.

poodling around
Victor V

Steve wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:48 am I also have two of these, so it might be de rigueur for us collectors! I'm not sure what the mystery is (?) really but they are Gramophone Co. ("HMV") record carrying cases from the 1920's, nothing more, nothing less.
Oh ........ :(

What is intriguing though is that these always seem to follow people around in pairs ........... spooky ! :o

NEKTREG
Victor Jr

Post by NEKTREG »

I always thought these are quiet rar and I‘am surprised that many of members here have one or two.

Still I think they look very fine and are rar in good and complete condition!

I have one made by/for Electrola and it really is the only one known to still exist and I asked several big collectors which were delighted by this early record case, which they have never seen.

My one has still the old and first Electrola Decal used only in 1926 as they started business.
Adverts are quiet rar for these.
At least I have a price list from 1929 which mentions it called „Plako“ (short Version of PLattenKOffer = record case) and sold for 20 RM (a normal one from a department store costed around 6-8 RM) !
It is missing in the Price List of 1932

There also was another later version by HMV as mentioned, but this seems even much rarer.

BTW: Some sleeves are missing in my one - has anyone some spare ones for sale? Would very appreciate it!
Attachments
Second (?) version
Second (?) version
A Electrola 101 and the matching record case made in 1926
A Electrola 101 and the matching record case made in 1926
IMG_1814.jpeg
IMG_1813.jpeg
IMG_1812.jpeg
IMG_1811.jpeg