Unusual Meltrope sound-box design ???

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
poodling around
Victor V

Unusual Meltrope sound-box design ???

Post by poodling around »

I was taking apart a very well constructed Meltrope iv sound-box because the needle bar had become mis-aligned.

I have only ever dismantled one other Meltrope which was a model iii - Decca 'chrome' type.

I noticed that there was an easily removable metal collar in the Meltrope iv which perfectly fits around the inside of the front body and is meant to be put in place after the rubber gasket is installed - to press down and make a tighter seal.

The Decca version has a similar shapped area but does not have a ring to remove. It all just seems to be a 'fused' to the body area - which makes a less tight seal. Trying to 'stuff' the rubber gasket in there just doesn't work well.

So I wonder, is the removable ring in the Meltrope iv common-place with most Meltrope soundboxes ?

Thanks as always for any help you can give.

(Photographs below showing comparisons).
Attachments
mf.jpg
mf2.jpg
mf3.jpg

leels1
Victor I

Re: Unusual Meltrope sound-box design ???

Post by leels1 »

I think they all have this, but sometimes it gets “stuck” in place and is hard to remove. The soundbox body is made of potmetal, albeit a seeming better composition than some of the HMV backs. I presume some swelling occurs though which makes that ring stick in place quite tightly.
I’ve several of these Meltropes and they all have the detachable ring.

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

I think they all have this, but sometimes it gets “stuck” in place and is hard to remove.
. I agree.
As for a Meltrope IV. Is there such a thing. I can't say I have ever come across an advertisement or a marked Meltrope IV. The last version I know of, is the Meltrope IIIa with detachable chucks. These were made of cheaper pot-metal and have often swollen unlike the better quality of the Meltrope III.

leels1
Victor I

Post by leels1 »

chunnybh wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:48 pm
I think they all have this, but sometimes it gets “stuck” in place and is hard to remove.
. I agree.
As for a Meltrope IV. Is there such a thing. I can't say I have ever come across an advertisement or a marked Meltrope IV. The last version I know of, is the Meltrope IIIa with detachable chucks. These were made of cheaper pot-metal and have often swollen unlike the better quality of the Meltrope III.
I don't think there is a IV, but the example on the right is from a Sylvaphone and is branded IV so I suppose technically as it's a Meltrope, and it has IV on it, it must be?!
The other two are both IIIs but of different design.
Attachments
meltrope.jpg

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

Wow, thanks for the pic of the Sylvaphone.

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

In my experience some Meltrope IIIs have that ring, some don't. It's conceivable that the ones I've encountered without may have had one originally - I feel that's unlikely, but can't be certain. I must have a dozen of them or so, all of which I've rebuilt, though none recently. Seeing what the last example sold for on the Bay of Fleas the other day, I should probably sell some of them!
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

poodling around
Victor V

leels1 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:39 am
chunnybh wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:48 pm
. I agree.
I don't think there is a IV, but the example on the right is from a Sylvaphone and is branded IV so I suppose technically as it's a Meltrope, and it has IV on it, it must be?!
The other two are both IIIs but of different design.
Snap !!! Mine is the Sylvaphone version too !

Thank you so very much leels and chunny for your information. I am now far wiser and greatly appreciate your help.
Attachments
m4.jpg
m4a.jpg

poodling around
Victor V

Orchorsol wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:45 am In my experience some Meltrope IIIs have that ring, some don't. It's conceivable that the ones I've encountered without may have had one originally - I feel that's unlikely, but can't be certain. I must have a dozen of them or so, all of which I've rebuilt, though none recently. Seeing what the last example sold for on the Bay of Fleas the other day, I should probably sell some of them!
Very interesting indeed. Thank you as always Orchorsol.

Something else to ponder upon !

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Sylvaphone was the brand name for gramophones manufactured by or for the Co-Operative Wholesale Society.
Any customer placing a bulk order for soundboxes could have their own name engraved on the front mask, as here :

Attachments
Antoria.jpg
G-M.jpg

leels1
Victor I

Post by leels1 »

Never seen a Meltrope II with that logo, I have one that has nothing on it, so may have been a blank ready to be stamped with a specific manufacturers name.
Interesting how more keep coming out of the woodwork!