Started on the Roberts Bestone

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Lah Ca
Victor III

Started on the Roberts Bestone

Post by Lah Ca »

I started working on my Roberts Bestone Model B, the machine previously discussed here:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=56694

and here:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=56742

Leather Restoration/Conservation:

I contacted a number of shops and individuals who do leather conservation and restoration, including some for whom luggage is one of their specialties. It is apparent that having a professional do all the work will be prohibitively expensive. So I will do what I can on my own first and then later perhaps take the case in for a few things that will require experience and specialized tools.

The first task is to stablize and soften the leather before attempting to remove the machine.

Doing online research about working with antique leather is confusing. There seems to be no consensus among the leather work community about how to proceed. There are many contradictory prohibitions and recommendations. So I found a local leather vendor with a warehouse and shop. The staff there laughed when I told them my dilemma in deciding which methods and products to use. They said, "Yes, people online tend to get self-important about how they do things and obnoxious about how other people do things. It's stupid because there really isn't a lot of difference between the basic products. They all have similar effects. And the goals are the same. It just comes down to personal preferences. We would recommend plain saddle soap and pure neetsfoot oil as the most basic, traditional, tried and true products."

So that is what I bought.

The Cunard Luggage Label: I spent a painstaking hour and half with a long, thin, flexible knife slowly detaching the Cunard luggage label from the leather on the back of the case. I managed to do this without damanaging either the leather or the label (any futher than it is already damaged). It helped that the leather was very hard and dry. I put the label between two sheets of acid free paper and then put it in a large, heavy book to press flat. I will try to reattach it later.

I then took a soft brush and gave the case a thorough brushing.

Then I applied saddle soap with a lightly dampen microfibre cloth. One is supposed to work up a bit of a lather using a very small amount of the soap on the cloth. This was not possible as the leather was so dry. Nonetheless, I did manage to clean it up a bit, greatly improving its appearance and texture. Then I let it dry for a couple of days.

Today, I applied the neetsfoot oil. One is supposed to put a light coat on with a soft rag, let it sit for a bit, and then wipe off any excess. I was pretty good at applying a thin and fairly even coat but there was never any excess as the leather is so thirsty. I applied heavier coats in the areas where the leather must flex; these coats, too, disappeared immediately into the leather.

The neetsfoot oil darkens the leather considerably.--this is both fortunate and unfortunate. The darkening masks the water stains but also changes the colour. I will now leave it again for a couple of days and then reassess. The leather may lighten a bit again as it continues to absorb the oil.

Once I have the leather in a softer and more pliable condition, I will take the machine out of the case and attempt to flatten the warps than the water-hardened leather has caused.

I will post some pictures later.

The Crank:

I have not yet found a Garrard Model 3 crank for the motor, but I do have an offer of what I think is a threaded Birch crank that can be converted to a split end. It is of almost exactly the same dimensions a the original Bestone crank although the handle is radically different.

Lah Ca
Victor III

Re: Started on the Roberts Bestone

Post by Lah Ca »

What fell out of the case while working on the leather:

A collection of used needles of varying tones and manufacture, some used to an alarming degree. One of the soft tone needles I will add to my collection because the tip is so worn that it looks like a drift guide blade for a microscopic slot racing car.
Screenshot from 2024-01-18 11-07-51.png
Less common items: two used needles that appear to be bronze, a small brass nut, a curious badly corroded small bent piece of metal, and a burnt-looking piece of something organic, perhaps wood. Were there bronze needles?
Screenshot from 2024-01-18 11-08-47.png

Lah Ca
Victor III

Post by Lah Ca »

The Case Before and After

I am not finished with the case yet. I need to get another secondary restoration product, I think, a leather balm.
B&FTop.png
B&FFront.png
the rest of the case shows similar improvement.
side1-2.png
side2-2.png
bottom2.png
Bottom.png
I would like to get the aluminium frame out of the case so that I can re-block it and try to get the warping out of it now that it is more pliable.
Screenshot from 2024-01-18 13-35-01.png
It appears to be held in with two split rivets on the sides at the front and with one screw at the back. I am struggling with the rivets at the moment.

Lah Ca
Victor III

Post by Lah Ca »

The Reproducer

The mica is loose in the reproducer because the gaskets have disintegrated. It looks like I might be able to save it.

The front of the reproducer doesn't look too bad, but the back is a bit of a dog's breakfast.
Screenshot from 2024-01-18 13-42-15.png
Screenshot from 2024-01-18 13-42-46.png
Screenshot from 2024-01-18 13-43-32.png
Screenshot from 2024-01-18 13-44-08.png

Lah Ca
Victor III

Post by Lah Ca »

The Motor
Attachments
Screenshot from 2024-01-18 13-39-24.png
Screenshot from 2024-01-18 13-39-57.png
Screenshot from 2024-01-18 13-40-38.png
Screenshot from 2024-01-18 13-41-03.png

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Wow, what a change in the appearance of the case!!! It looks fantastic
Inigo

Lah Ca
Victor III

Post by Lah Ca »

Inigo wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:13 pm Wow, what a change in the appearance of the case!!! It looks fantastic
Thanks. And I hope it will look better, yet.

Lah Ca
Victor III

Post by Lah Ca »

Well .. I know what this is now:
2024-01-18 16.32.02 forum.talkingmachine.info 79907c553042.jpg
2024-01-18 16.32.02 forum.talkingmachine.info 79907c553042.jpg (7.03 KiB) Viewed 1116 times
It is the end of the non-return spring, I think. For purposes of testing, I managed to uncoil a small part of the broken non-return spring and lock it under the screw down tab that holds it in place. It probably won't stay there.

I also know what this is:
2024-01-18 16.34.38 forum.talkingmachine.info e6fd4705dff1.jpg
2024-01-18 16.34.38 forum.talkingmachine.info e6fd4705dff1.jpg (6.48 KiB) Viewed 1116 times
It is one of the nuts that holds things together, the speed control, the brake, the aluminium platform/motor-board (at the back of the case). Since none are missing, I assume that this one got left, wedged into a corner, in the case during assembly.

Damfino59
Victor II

Post by Damfino59 »

I’ve used this to revive old leather on some HMV grips:

https://www.amazon.com/Fiebings-AULC00T ... gKEv_D_BwE

And some Brooks saddles on older Raleigh 3-5 speed bikes.

Lah Ca
Victor III

Post by Lah Ca »

Damfino59 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:04 pm I’ve used this to revive old leather on some HMV grips:

https://www.amazon.com/Fiebings-AULC00T ... gKEv_D_BwE

And some Brooks saddles on older Raleigh 3-5 speed bikes.
Thanks. That is exactly the sort of product I was thinking of.

I will probably go back to these guys:

https://lonsdaleleather.com

They carry the Aussie Leather Conditioner, but I will probably buy one of their own label products. They have been so friendly and helpful. Probably one of these:

https://lonsdaleleather.com/collections ... ather-balm

https://lonsdaleleather.com/products/le ... 7f4e&_ss=r