HMV no.32 motor noise

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
casey-eamonn
Victor Jr

HMV no.32 motor noise

Post by casey-eamonn »

Hi all
I am working on a HMV model 126 at the moment with a no.32 motor. Unfortunately while testing the the motor got VERY noisy.
I had been sparing with grease on the large drive gear on the mainspring drum and on the spindle worm gear that meets it and the noise appears to coming from this side of the motor.
I took the motor apart again and took the steel bar that acts as a axil going through the motor case and mainspring drum, re cleaned and put a little grease in there to replace what i had removed on cleaning. Then I went heavy (relatively) on the grease for the drum gear and spindle worm gear.
This seemed to have the desired effect and all was nice and smooth and quiet again for testing.
At one stage while testing the noise started again just not as bad as before. I took the motor plus board out , wound again and observed it going . I could not see anything rubbing or scraping or any evidence of it , even though the noise was going again. Then it stopped!!!!
It has not returned but I ve a feeling it will randomly reappear.
Has anyone any experience of this with a no.32 motor? The noise sounds like dry metal sweaking/rubbing.
Your help will be greatly appreciated
20240110_145757.jpg
20240112_144104.jpg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: HMV no.32 motor noise

Post by JerryVan »

Prior to greasing, did you do anything to clean the gears? Maybe it's just the photo playing tricks, but it all looks filthy. Also, the governor worm gear looks dry, (as does the spindle shaft). Use oil there or a very light grease. Did you oil the ends of the governor shaft? The governor friction leather can squeak also, due to dried, sticky oil on it and on the governor friction disc. Clean the friction disc & leather with solvent. Lightly sand the face of the leather to remove the glaze of dried oil, then lubricate it with light oil.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Have you extracted the spindle? In that case, have you taken care of the ball bearing sitting in the cup below the spindle? It is typical to lose that ball...
Inigo

casey-eamonn
Victor Jr

Post by casey-eamonn »

Good morning Gents

I should have explained that the pictures are PRIOR to cleaning.

Unfortunately it is none of the above mentioned, spindle ball bearing in place doing its job.The noise is very much a metallic noise and typically it has not come back again despite a lot of testing since it s last appearance

The long bar that act s as a kind of axil going going through the cast case sides and drum had a little scoring on one side that I smoothed off and greesed before reassembly. Possibly the inside of the large drum gear was a little rough, I m not 100 % sure as I only cleaned and greesed it, I don't know !!!

I ll continue testing it and if it starts again I ll try and smooth that out.

Any thoughts on this would be most welcome, thanks fir your input so far.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Hopefully, the noise won't come back. If it does, look more closely at the fast spinning components. The spring barrel shaft, (axle), will not be the source of a metallic squeak due to its very slow turning nature.

Oedipus
Victor II

Post by Oedipus »

Agreed, it sounds unlikely to be a serious problem. If it does recur, watch the motor as it works and see which revolving part corresponds with the timing of the squeaks. Incidentally, the machine is not a 126, it's a 125!

casey-eamonn
Victor Jr

Post by casey-eamonn »

Thanks very much for your help and information, I ll keep testing it for another while and hopefully it won't crop up again.

Good to know about the bar / axil, it makes perfect sense that it is going too slowly to be the culprit. It wasn't a part that I had given much attention to before so I thought it may have been the issue but it isn't.

Good to know it's a 125 thanks.