What does this do ?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
emgcr
Victor IV

Re: What does this do ?

Post by emgcr »

They were not a very good idea scientifically and, whilst volume is indeed reduced, much of the frequency response is lost. Also, as you correctly say, the tracking is severely maladjusted. Fortunately in the case of EMG/Expert/Astra/Meltrope it is possible to twist the soundbox to reattain correct overlap.

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

emgcr wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:06 am They were not a very good idea scientifically and, whilst volume is indeed reduced, much of the frequency response is lost. Also, as you correctly say, the tracking is severely maladjusted. Fortunately in the case of EMG/Expert/Astra/Meltrope it is possible to twist the soundbox to reattain correct overlap.
Very good.

As you say these sound-boxes can be twisted so the needle meets the centre of the motor-board but then, when using this 'adapter', the needle angle (as it meets the record) is incorrect I think. Too 'up-right'.

Lah Ca
Victor III

Post by Lah Ca »

Very interesting.

What effect does it have on the sound?

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Lah Ca wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:00 am Very interesting.

What effect does it have on the sound?

Good question.

I have just tried it with my metal motor-board HMV 102 with the Meltrope iii sound-box and used 'soft' and 'medium' metal needles.

I must admit I would have loved to be able to say that it sounded better with the accessory ............. but sadly it doesn't.

With the accessory the sound seemed 'muffled' with no clear seperation of instruments / vocals etc. It had the same loudness though. It was very 'sparkly' as well.

So .... I am thinking that if it was made to sell to the public it must have had a unique selling point. So maybe it was meant for thorn needles which might reflect the fact that it has such a small diameter chuck hole ? Or perhaps this is one of several interchangeable chucks for a unique sound-box ? A bit like the Meltrope 3a (I think it is called). After-all, it does look perculiar, over-sized and kind of out-of-place when 'mounted' onto the Meltrope iii.

Another intriguing mystery !

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

poodling around wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:21 am As you say these sound-boxes can be twisted so the needle meets the centre of the motor-board but then, when using this 'adapter', the needle angle (as it meets the record) is incorrect I think. Too 'up-right'.
The angle, as such, is relatively unimportant and is dictated by the correct overlap. The latter is the really important factor to have right. Even companies like HMV did not understand this in the mid nineteen twenties and offset, and therefore tracking, was not good. The cardboard angle plates supplied by some companies to aid tracking were only ever a very rough guide. Results and angles are varied by factors like turntable height, needle extension etc. The extracts below are taken from an EMG handbook prompted by Percy Wilson who was the first person to sort out the definitive geometry for the industry.
Attachments
DSC04361.JPG
DSC04362.JPG
DSC04363.JPG

Lah Ca
Victor III

Post by Lah Ca »

emgcr wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:26 am
poodling around wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:21 am As you say these sound-boxes can be twisted so the needle meets the centre of the motor-board but then, when using this 'adapter', the needle angle (as it meets the record) is incorrect I think. Too 'up-right'.
The angle, as such, is relatively unimportant and is dictated by the correct overlap. The latter is the really important factor to have right. Even companies like HMV did not understand this in the mid nineteen twenties and offset, and therefore tracking, was not good. The cardboard angle plates supplied by some companies to aid tracking were only ever a very rough guide. Results and angles are varied by factors like turntable height, needle extension etc. The extracts below are taken from an EMG handbook prompted by Percy Wilson who was the first person to sort out the definitive geometry for the industry.
Very interesting. Thank you.