Martin Herrick Soundboxes.

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
old country chemist
Victor II

Martin Herrick Soundboxes.

Post by old country chemist »

Hello all! I must tell you of the appreciation I have of someone recently producing soundboxes of a very good quality and reproduction.
I sent him an old Overstall box recently, and he made new springs, added a new diaphragm and gaskets, and adjusted it better than I ever could. There is a great improvement in reproduction, and I am most pleased with it.
I also sent him a week ago, my Expert 4 spring soundbox for repair. I have just had it back, and I am well impressed with the reproduction on a post war Expert Senior.
He has been adapting Exhibition boxes, but is now making new 2 and 4 spring boxes from scratch.
I hope he does well, and his prices are withing the reach of any ordinary gramophone collector.
I also see that Ahmed is to be congratulated in producing a very good Mk 9 horn, probably the horn that suffered the greatest from the infernal droop!
How good it is that we have folk such as these to help us to keep our machines in excellent order, both visually and in the quality of reproduction expected of them
Not forgetting Graham whose attention to detail and thoroughness of manufacture as made many gramophone folk very happy with the ultimate machines which I call "The World's Best Gramophones! And rightly so they are.

poodling around
Victor V

Re: Martin Herrick Soundboxes.

Post by poodling around »

old country chemist wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:58 pm Hello all! I must tell you of the appreciation I have of someone recently producing soundboxes of a very good quality and reproduction.
I sent him an old Overstall box recently, and he made new springs, added a new diaphragm and gaskets, and adjusted it better than I ever could. There is a great improvement in reproduction, and I am most pleased with it.
I also sent him a week ago, my Expert 4 spring soundbox for repair. I have just had it back, and I am well impressed with the reproduction on a post war Expert Senior.
He has been adapting Exhibition boxes, but is now making new 2 and 4 spring boxes from scratch.
I hope he does well, and his prices are withing the reach of any ordinary gramophone collector.
I also see that Ahmed is to be congratulated in producing a very good Mk 9 horn, probably the horn that suffered the greatest from the infernal droop!
How good it is that we have folk such as these to help us to keep our machines in excellent order, both visually and in the quality of reproduction expected of them
Not forgetting Graham whose attention to detail and thoroughness of manufacture as made many gramophone folk very happy with the ultimate machines which I call "The World's Best Gramophones! And rightly so they are.
Very interesting ndeed.

I must admit that I am particularly interested to hear that Martin is 'now making new 2 and 4 spring boxes from scratch' and look forward very much to hearing more about that.

Otherwise, I have never heard of an 'overstall' sound-box and wonder what that is ?

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Any details about the replica soundboxes?
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

poodling around wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:23 am Otherwise, I have never heard of an 'overstall' sound-box and wonder what that is ?
Search "George Overstall" and you will find out all about him. He was a very talented engineer and machinist.

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

epigramophone wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:05 am
poodling around wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:23 am Otherwise, I have never heard of an 'overstall' sound-box and wonder what that is ?
Search "George Overstall" and you will find out all about him. He was a very talented engineer and machinist.
Thank you very much epigramophone.