Just a Hello

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
GavinM
Victor Jr

Just a Hello

Post by GavinM »

I applied to join this forum about a year ago and had pretty much given up on the idea that I'd be admitted - especially when I read some posts on the topic. But yesterday I got an email to say my account has been activated. So this is just to say hello and I'm looking forward to joining the discussions when appropriate.

I live in York, UK and have a small collection of machines. I started collecting about 25 years ago. My oldest machine is a G&T Style 3 which is lovely but doesn't play too well as I think the spring's tired. However, because as far as I can tell the machine is in original condition I don't want to start replacing parts. So it's a machine I just enjoy looking at and run occasionally. My favourite machine is my HMV Model 13 cabinet gramophone, which was the first machine I bought.

I'm a CLPGS member and am secretary of the society's Northern Group. I'm always happy to hear from other collectors/members in the north of England.

Best wishes,

Gavin

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Just a Hello

Post by epigramophone »

Welcome to the Forum Gavin.
I recently retired as Chairman of the CLPGS West of England Group, but continue to write the "Covers Covered" articles for the magazine.

Roger.

GavinM
Victor Jr

Post by GavinM »

Thanks, Roger. I hope the West of England Group is still thriving.

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

And another warm welcome Gavin! Andy here, another CLPGS member down in South East Kent. Sadly I never get to participate as the local group events are all in London on weekday evenings, impossible for me, but here on the TMF is great.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

Lah Ca
Victor III

Post by Lah Ca »

Welcome, Gavin.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Happy to have you here Gavin. Maybe share some photos of your collection :)

GavinM
Victor Jr

Post by GavinM »

JerryVan wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:12 am Happy to have you here Gavin. Maybe share some photos of your collection :)
Thank you all for your warm welcome! Here's a pic of my G&T Style 3. I don't have photos of many of the others but will take a few at some stage :D
Attachments
G&T Style3.jpeg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Very nice!!

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

GavinM wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:57 am
JerryVan wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:12 am Happy to have you here Gavin. Maybe share some photos of your collection :)
Thank you all for your warm welcome! Here's a pic of my G&T Style 3. I don't have photos of many of the others but will take a few at some stage :D
Yes, welcome to the party! If you have any Pathé machines in your collection, I'd particularly love to see those. We don't get a lot of them in this country, and I'm always interested in learning more about them.

GavinM
Victor Jr

Post by GavinM »

drh wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:00 pmYes, welcome to the party! If you have any Pathé machines in your collection, I'd particularly love to see those. We don't get a lot of them in this country, and I'm always interested in learning more about them.
Hi drh, I'm afraid I don't have any Pathé machines in my collection. Maybe some others who do could post some photos.