Odeon System Vadesz Bauhaus Gramophone

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
flying500
Victor I

Odeon System Vadesz Bauhaus Gramophone

Post by flying500 »

Does anyone have a copy of the Instuction sheet for these models or have any experience working on them?
If so I would very much appreciate a copy of the instructions or any advice.
Thank you
Jerry

CarlosV
Victor IV

Re: Odeon System Vadesz Bauhaus Gramophone

Post by CarlosV »

flying500 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:38 pm Does anyone have a copy of the Instuction sheet for these models or have any experience working on them?
If so I would very much appreciate a copy of the instructions or any advice.
Thank you
Jerry
I have one of these gramophones, but not its instruction sheet, but the machine is not difficult to utilize. What is the problem with your machine?

flying500
Victor I

Post by flying500 »

Hi Thank you for the reply.
I am having a probem removing the turntable.
I want to service the motor and the arm bearing which is a little stiff in operation.
I can see that if I remove the turntable i can the remove the screws holding the top plate and gain access to the motor and arm fixings. but until I can remove the turntable I am stuck.
I also require the spring clip to hold the arm out of play position which I may need to make

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

flying500 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:24 am
I am having a probem removing the turntable.
The turntable will lift by applying vertical pressure upwards with both hands - it is not screwed. It may be stuck due to age, rust etc, so tapping on the center will help, but be careful: the particularity of this machine is that the spindle is not integral to the motor, the visible part that fits in the record hole is actually a cap that sits in the actual spindle, and has a spring between them, so when you lift it be careful to not lose both parts (spindle cap and spring). The photos below should clarify, you can see the spring inside the turntable cap in one of them, and that the cap recesses - but, at least in the case of my machine, does not fall off - when you remove the turntable.
Attachments
20240301_231017.jpg
20240301_231008.jpg
20240301_230953.jpg

flying500
Victor I

Post by flying500 »

Thank you for the photos. They are very imformative.
Do you know why there is a spung top section?
Have you removed the tonearm and if so what is the bearing arrangement and how much play should there be?

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

flying500 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:18 am Thank you for the photos. They are very imformative.
Do you know why there is a spung top section?
Have you removed the tonearm and if so what is the bearing arrangement and how much play should there be?
It escapes me why there is a spring in the spindle, actually I had never noticed it until last night when I removed it to take the photos. I opened the arm years ago to clean it, and my recollection is that it is a simple metal-to-metal connection with no bearings. I just tried it now and there is no play in the arm, it rotates well around its axis with no lateral play.

Concerning the missing retaining clip, it is a big fat clip, it will not be easy to find another one, so manufacturing a new piece would be the way to go.

flying500
Victor I

Post by flying500 »

Thank you again. It is really helpful.
Would you be able to photograph the clip for me please?
Do you remember how the tonearm is attached as i removed the thre screws securing the cover plate at the base of the arm but it did not appear removeable from there?
Many Thanks again.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

flying500 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:03 pm Would you be able to photograph the clip for me please?
Do you remember how the tonearm is attached as i removed the thre screws securing the cover plate at the base of the arm but it did not appear removeable from there?
Many Thanks again.
Here it is.

Unfortunately I don't recall how to remove the arm, but to open the machine I had to unscrew some bolts on the sides.

I found the reason for the spring on the spindle: when you close the machine, the flap on the lid presses against the spindle, lowering it to the level of the turntable and therefore preventing it from dislodging during transport. Smart system!
Attachments
20240302_134536.jpg

flying500
Victor I

Post by flying500 »

Thank you once again but it is the clip on the joint on the tonearm which keeps the arm raised when changing ta record.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

flying500 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:12 am Thank you once again but it is the clip on the joint on the tonearm which keeps the arm raised when changing ta record.
OK, got it. Here it is, taken from the bottom.
Attachments
20240303_174500.jpg