Zonophone Grand Opera Luxus No 110

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
jamiegramo
Victor III

Zonophone Grand Opera Luxus No 110

Post by jamiegramo »

Just turned up on eBay is this rare Zonophone Grand Opera Luxus No 110. I was interested to see it as I’ve only seen one other photographed in a collection in, I believe, the Ukraine (assuming this isn’t the same one). This one is being sold in France and I would be tempted if it were not missing the original motor and what alterations have occurred to the motor plate (assuming that is original to this machine) and it would be easier for me to complete without the back bracket. Still a most interesting rarity...

This translation from the original French listing:

This interesting and rare Zonophone, the Grand Opéra De Luxe created in 1904, is presented in the catalog of that date as the most luxurious and expensive of the brand's models. This example, initially equipped with a floating brass bell, was modified after 1904 to provide it with a stem and an acoustic arm similar to those of a Gramophone in order to make it more maneuverable. The phonograph is working. It is offered without a horn, with an unbranded player and a Zonophone player. Note that the Swiss-made engine is not the original one and that the cruise control needs to be completed. Box dimensions: 42 x 35 x 20 cm Weight: 15 kg

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/326038023071?mk ... name=11021
Attachments
F4097345-AA5E-4DAB-ACCB-814597D7C054.jpeg
Last edited by jamiegramo on Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Zonophone Grand Opera Luxus No 110

Post by epigramophone »

jamiegramo wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:48 am

Note that the Swiss-made engine is not the original one and that the cruise control needs to be completed. Box dimensions: 42 x 35 x 20 cm Weight: 15 kg

I never saw one of these described as a cruise control before :lol: :lol: :lol:
Attachments
control.jpg

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

epigramophone wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:11 am
jamiegramo wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:48 am

Note that the Swiss-made engine is not the original one and that the cruise control needs to be completed. Box dimensions: 42 x 35 x 20 cm Weight: 15 kg

I never saw one of these described as a cruise control before :lol: :lol: :lol:
I know. I had to think about it for a moment... :D
Google translate. :lol:

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

More pictures:
Attachments
E8D7A528-F28A-4D98-B641-595C69A60180.jpeg
F54814B0-EB86-4AAF-8862-C90E1431EBA1.jpeg

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

That ornate motor plate does not deserve to be hidden beneath the turntable. I have never seen another quite like it.

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

I couldn’t agree more. Tempting to display the machine without the turntable or have a turntable made in Perspex. :D

I find the US logo rather curious, most European Zonophones were manufactured in Germany although parts were imported. I see that this bed plate was also used on US Grand Operas.
Attachments
68A74163-A2BE-471C-BC84-3FBFAE3D276D.jpeg
Last edited by jamiegramo on Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

Note I remember: I’m sure a similar Grand Opera Luxus 110 machine is also pictured in one of the Fabrizio Paul books.

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

This machine has been on ebay before. It is a Frankenphone. Lyrophone used the same case design, so hopefully on the side of this cabinet is a Zonophone transfer.

The US made bedplate is wrong for this cabinet, as is obviously the bolted on Swiss motor. And the "original" catalogue screenshot is partly written in a font that has only existed since the invention of laser printers.

Not sure at what time this model was the most expensive as at the same time a model was for sale with brass art-nouveau inlays - this was the most expensive.

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

Sidewinder wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:50 pm This machine has been on ebay before. It is a Frankenphone. Lyrophone used the same case design, so hopefully on the side of this cabinet is a Zonophone transfer.

The US made bedplate is wrong for this cabinet, as is obviously the bolted on Swiss motor. And the "original" catalogue screenshot is partly written in a font that has only existed since the invention of laser printers.

Not sure at what time this model was the most expensive as at the same time a model was for sale with brass art-nouveau inlays - this was the most expensive.
Thank you for clarifying, the lack of photos may indicate no Zonophone transfer. The seller has taken the catalogue picture from an old Zonophone website, only the left side is original.

phonodesbois
Victor II

Post by phonodesbois »

jamiegramo wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:25 pm Note I remember: I’m sure a similar Grand Opera Luxus 110 machine is also pictured in one of the Fabrizio Paul books.
yes, on the world of antique phonographs (page 76, 3-61) but it's a front mount machine with the usual zonophone horn!
On and above, on this Frankenphone, the crank is on the opposite side of the incorrect back bracket…
:x :x