Safely Removing (a still flexible) Rubber Isolator from HMV 5B

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
EdgarFB
Victor O

Safely Removing (a still flexible) Rubber Isolator from HMV 5B

Post by EdgarFB »

Does anyone have any tips for carefully removing the black rubber isolator and brass ring from the back of a number 5? I have picked a damaged 1950s No5 which has a stunning, still soft and flexible rubber isolator which I'd reaaaaally like to put into my good 1930s 5B. Trouble is both soundboxes are refusing to give them up even with the screws removed and I don't want to damage them. Is there a trick to get them loosened up?

CarlosV
Victor IV

Re: Safely Removing (a still flexible) Rubber Isolator from HMV 5B

Post by CarlosV »

I had success by removing the backplate and immersing it overnight in a solution of alcohol and winter green. This solution softens the rubber and allows it to be removed. Others removed it by piercing little holes in the rubber circumference to reduce its rigidity, but I avoided trying that method, as it can stress the pot metal backplate and crack it.

leels1
Victor I

Post by leels1 »

Check here… you can also purchase the new isolators here too!

https://www.gramophonemuseum.com/for-sale.html

EdgarFB
Victor O

Post by EdgarFB »

leels1 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:10 pm Check here… you can also purchase the new isolators here too!

https://www.gramophonemuseum.com/for-sale.html
I'll try number 1 and see if it works... Option 2 is out though, its the rubber I'm trying to save, it looks almost brand new. Won't be much good if I start cutting and drilling it :lol: