Strange HMV soundbox

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: Strange HMV soundbox

Post by Steve »

£1000 for a 102?! The world has gone mad. It's not even the best portable gramophone!

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

EdgarFB wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:24 pm Here's another, on a machine that sold for an insane price!

AB on an early model.... but I suspect possibly a later replacement for the original No16

https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/more- ... _15846151/
Well found and very interesting indeed.

I think that this is the third '5ab' sound-box found then - and it does seem to be in very good condition.

It is a shame that it appears to be not with the original gramophone which would presumably have re-affirmed the date of production, but I think the present one on ebay probably confirms that on it's own.

I can only assume that the '5ab' sound-box contributed to the high price. Of course people collect different things for different reasons and will pay accordingly. However, it does make me think that the one on ebay then is a bit of a bargain !

Really great to see this - thank you for up-loading.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

It's hardly a bargain at £400 in tatty condition, but each to their own! :D

Contrary to what's been said here I really don't think the £1000 102 sold at that price due to an anomaly in the stamping of the soundbox. Now, if it had a chrome plated No. 18 then that might have been a different matter!

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Steve wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:31 am It's hardly a bargain at £400 in tatty condition, but each to their own! :D

Contrary to what's been said here I really don't think the £1000 102 sold at that price due to an anomaly in the stamping of the soundbox. Now, if it had a chrome plated No. 18 then that might have been a different matter!
Ha ! Ha ! You never know what might still be out there !!! :)

I agree it wouldn't be a bargain at £ 400 but the green ebay one is presently only £ 199 ? A mere bagatelle !!!

(I might misunderstand what you meant though :roll: ).

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

The green 102 is 10 miles from me and is no bargain at £199. It has yet to attract a bid, and it won't get one from me.
The soundbox is in such a parlous state that it might disintegrate if any attempt is made to remove it for restoration.