Unknown Colonial Models

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Sherazhyder
Victor I
Personal Text: Another Gramophone Enthusiast

Unknown Colonial Models

Post by Sherazhyder »

Today I have discovered for myself two Table Grand Models of HMV, which I never heard about before: Table Grand Model T.C.M (polished Mahagony) and Table Grand Model I.B.O (Teak wood polished oak finish) circa 1920. I tried to find I.B.O and T.C.M in HMV's European catalogues but could not find any reference about them. I.B.O in teak should be one of the so called Colonial model for the type of wood it is cased in. But if T.C.M is also not a European model, its existence challenges the assumption that all HMV Colonial table models were cased in teak. I have not personally seen these models but found an ad for these two models published in a local newspaper and sponsored by a credible HMV authorised dealer. Earlier I also found a HMV catalogue published in a regional language circa 1937, containing image of a table top called 'HMV 176'. Does anybody have any further information about these supposedly colonial models ?'
Regards
Sheraz

Oedipus
Victor II

Re: Unknown Colonial Models

Post by Oedipus »

You need to hunt down (via eBay or similar) a copy of 'His Master's Gramophone', where all this is explained. TCM was part of the letter code system used in the period 1912-1922 to identify specific models within the factory and dealers, useful for ordering spare parts. TCM was a Model VIA in 1912, but in that basic design became Model 8 in 1914. Just to confuse everyone, the previous version continued alongside it for a year; the main difference was that the VIA had a wood horn with the motor inside it, but the 8 had a a cast iron horn passing under the motor.

I have never heard of IBO, which makes no sense, and must be an error, probably no more than a typo. TBO would be a table grand, in oak, smaller than the TCM/O, a very popular model, variously known (confusingly) as Model 6, Model 6B, then Model 6 again and eventually becoming Model 110 and finally Model 111, though by then the TBO code had been dropped. The three letters TBO refer to the basic case design, but technical changes were indicated (sometimes) by an extra letter v]before the final one, so the second version was TBAO, them TBBO and so on.

HBO was a horn model, and LBO a hornless.

Not all Indian models had teak cases, particularly at that date, when I think most cases were made in London.

The 176 was indeed in the 1937 Indian catalogue, a modernised version of the 130 with aluminium grille-bars in places of the fret. It is illustrated on page 68 of His Master's Gramophone.

Sherazhyder
Victor I

Post by Sherazhyder »

Oedipus ! Thank you very much for your detailed reply.

[You need to hunt down (via eBay or similar) a copy of 'His Master's Gramophone', where all this is explained]. Yes I need this book. Last month , I bought a preowned copy of Collecting HMV Gramophones and Phonographs and it cost me more than USD 150 to have it delivered here in Pakistan. Recently, I tried to buy the CD version of His Masters Gramophone but this CD is no more available. Soon I will buy this book in print form if I have to continue with my passion.

{TCM was part of the letter code system used in the period 1912-1922 to identify specific models within the factory and dealers, useful for ordering spare parts. TCM was a Model VIA in 1912, but in that basic design became Model 8 in 1914. Just to confuse everyone, the previous version continued alongside it for a year; the main difference was that the VIA had a wood horn with the motor inside it, but the 8 had a a cast iron horn passing under the motor}. Thank you for this piece of information. Apparently, HMV kept on producing particular sets of designs for cases/boxes of table tops, portables and transportables, with little tweaks and twists over decades. Conversely, HMV's design range was more innovative during the external horn days.

[I have never heard of IBO, which makes no sense, and must be an error, probably no more than a typo]. I read the ad again, probably its a case of misprinting in times of lithographic press printing.

[Not all Indian models had teak cases, particularly at that date, when I think most cases were made in London]. I did not know that. But I knew that several so called teak wood cases also came in boxes of commercial ply with teak veneer. Probably, these were the economy variants of particular models.

[The 176 was indeed in the 1937 Indian catalogue, a modernised version of the 130 with aluminium grille-bars in places of the fret. It is illustrated on page 68 of His Master's Gramophone]. Thanks for the info.

Regards
Sheraz

Oedipus
Victor II

Post by Oedipus »

What CD version of His Master's Gramophone? I had never heard of it, and if it exists, it is unauthorised!

Sherazhyder
Victor I

Post by Sherazhyder »

Oedipus wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 12:16 pm What CD version of His Master's Gramophone? I had never heard of it, and if it exists, it is unauthorised!

Apologies, i confused two different books. The CD option was once offered by Dave Cooper but when I wrote to him for supplying me one , he informed me that it was no more available.

Regards
Sheraz

IainW
Victor O

Post by IainW »

I think the CD in the back of Dave Coopers book is a selection of recordings rather than a version of the book itself.
Iain

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Yes, it is a selection of music in 78s. 'Hits of the Portable Years' or something alike...
Inigo

Sherazhyder
Victor I

Post by Sherazhyder »

I thought the CD contained an e-copy of the book. Thanks for correcting me.

Regards
Sheraz

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

No, no.... Ir has music, things as Goodman band playing Bach Goes To Town, Noel Coward with Mad Dogs And Englishmen, Duke Ellington with Stevedore Stomp, something by All Bowlly, etc and this sort of things.
Inigo

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Inigo wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 6:10 pm No, no.... Ir has music, things as Goodman band playing Bach Goes To Town, Noel Coward with Mad Dogs And Englishmen, Duke Ellington with Stevedore Stomp, something by All Bowlly, etc and this sort of things.
The author's particular favourite!