Parlophone Primax portable gramophone

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Parlophone Primax portable gramophone

Post by nostalgia »

I share some photos for rererence of a Parlophone Primax portable that came my way yesterday. I really have tried to stop buying more portables, but I wanted two records that came along with it, and the seller wanted to get rid of the portable..so well, then it ended (again) in my car. I have not yet checked the motor, if it is a single or double spring, it however runs and plays well...
We can see the storage of the winding handle is different than on most portables, and the interior of the lid as well as the record storage is covered with velvet. The corner shilelds are gilted, and so is the sound box. The cover of the portable is blue crocodile, and the cover appears very solid, and looks harder than rexin.
I was able to find a black version on some online photos, as well as a red version on a Russian website, that had a different positioning of the needle container. I was not able myself to find a blue crocodile version online..but here are some photos of mine..

"And what the heck is this hook for in the front corner"?

I also upload photos of a different sound box named "Royal Luxus", British made, that belonged to another portable that I scrapped yesterday( it was unoriginal and home made). Do you recognize this sound box, is it a Goldring, or.... ?
Attachments
april 2024 042.jpg
april 2024 038.jpg
april 2024 036.jpg
april 2024 034.jpg
april 2024 032.jpg
april 2024 030.jpg
april 2024 029.jpg
april 2024 028.jpg

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: Parlophone Primax portable gramophone

Post by Steve »

Is that a camel skin lined motor-board? :lol:

Anyway, I love the machine, congratulations on yet another steal! Does this ever happen to anyone else? I know it certainly doesn't to me! :lol:

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Is the 'hook in the front corner' meant to twist and open and close the front 'flap' ?

Removing the motor-board may provide a clue maybe ?

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Thanks Steve, for the greetings.
It could very well be camel skin.. :lol: Who knows, really.
I was hesitant to even take the machine, I at first offered the seller to switch the records that came along with it, with some
records I brought, so he could still sell the portable with some records.
But then...I had a closer look at it, and my eye fell on the "camel skin", the gilted corners and sound box, and I realized this probably was a de luxe version, also taking into consideration the blue cover.
I started to see it breaking the (rather endless) line of Columbia and HMV portables of different models and colors that I keep, and started to like it :lol:
And well, it will most probably stay in my small sitting room then, since I like to look at it.. :squirrel: :roll:

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Poodling....you are correct !
After opening the portable, this hook is for flipping the front flap in different angles. :)
"De luxe version"... ;)

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

nostalgia wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:08 am Poodling....you are correct !
After opening the portable, this hook is for flipping the front flap in different angles. :)
"De luxe version"... ;)
Ah, Excellent ! A sound adjuster.

Another happy ending and it's always good to have another 'twiddling part' on a gramophone ! :)

(A very nice portable indeed - well found !).

Oh, you didn't say what the two records were that you wanted - when you have the time that would be interesting to know too.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Thanks to you too, Poodling..for nice greetings.
No one here will probably know these records, they are of two different Scandinavian revue singers, one Swedish and one Norwegian (from 1928/1929).
The Norwegian record (Einar Rose) is extremely hard to find, my long time collector friend here, who has collected records for 50 years plus, has one copy of the same record, and in bad condition. My record here, plays well.
I paste a link from youtube, so you can hear the Norwegian record, of you want... ;) The song is named "F'står'u", which is a VERY shortened way of saying "Forstår du", which means "Do you understand". In total the lyrics are at the rude end of the spectrum, and even hard to understand and get for a Scandinavian person, since he sings/talks so fast. But the record is hard to find, very.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnvVvsrT5F0
Attachments
april 2024 044.jpg
april 2024 021.jpg
april 2024 021.jpg (82.92 KiB) Viewed 213 times

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

That is a very fine portable Martin, another great bargain from the land of cheap gramophones.
It would be interesting to see the internal horn. Speaking of which, if that round lid to the right of the tonearm is for the needle container it would be all too easy to spill needles down the horn!

I don't recognise the Royal Luxus soundbox as a Goldring product. This is the Goldring we normally see :
Attachments
Luxus.jpg
Luxus.jpg (36.02 KiB) Viewed 201 times

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

epigramophone wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:34 am I don't recognise the Royal Luxus soundbox as a Goldring product.
It's not. But the soundbox on the machine is the original Parlophone. I had an identical one on a Parlophone "Cantorette" portable. Mine had very faint white writing around the black edge, identifying the model, but with constant handling most of it had worn away. Just out of interest, does this one also have it?

Barry

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Around the edge of the soundbox it seems to read O D E O N...
Inigo