Parlophone Primax portable gramophone

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Re: Parlophone Primax portable gramophone

Post by nostalgia »

Thank you Roger, for the greetings, and thanks Barry and Inigo for the interest :)

I recognize the Goldring Luxus, I have a couple of those. I have myself not seen the "Royal Luxus" sound box before, but I have also not seen that much, it was the back side of the sound box that reminded me of Goldring,,,

I upload some more photos from the interior of the Parlophone Primax, the sound box righthly has ODEON written on the side, and nothing else, but the Odeon name of course makes sense, since they are both Lindstrom products. I also feel the sound box is belonging to the machine, also because it is gilted, as the corner shields.

There are no risk for needles to fall into the horn, since the compartment under the lid is all locked with no horn entrance, as we can see on the photos. I find the machine well built, and I have also taken some photos of the wind up mechanism. The single spring motor is numbered "4", but as we know Lindstrom manufactured MANY different motors, myself I have not seen this motor before with this wind up mechanismm but maybe it looks similar to one of your Parlophone portables, Barry?

But then comes the big question, are we seeing a portable built during the very early 1930s..or ?
Attachments
april 2024 074.jpg
april 2024 073.jpg
april 2024 072.jpg
april 2024 071.jpg
april 2024 071.jpg (85.75 KiB) Viewed 175 times
april 2024 070.jpg
april 2024 068.jpg
april 2024 065.jpg
april 2024 064.jpg
april 2024 063.jpg
april 2024 062.jpg
april 2024 062.jpg (91.38 KiB) Viewed 175 times

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Verrrrrry nice! Truly seems to be a luxury model. About the fraternity between odeon and Parlophon, yes yes. It was clearly a time just before EMI when they were all together with Columbia too. In Spain I have odeon records with parlophone side numbers in the runout area just crossed with a line and odeon face numbers added, and vice versa. Besides that, these odeon soundboxes have the same balance system with threaded pivot and nuts as that of the Columbia viva tonal soundboxes, etc. The Odeon Scala soundbox they advertised in 1926/27 was this way too.
Inigo

NEKTREG
Victor O

Post by NEKTREG »

Nice find! These aren‘t very Common in nice and clean condition.
Do you cleaned the felt in any way? Would Like to know how you would do that.

Anyway:
Attachments
IMG_9775.jpeg
DACA7B1B-AFFE-4172-9A6A-11B9AE2D4CB1.jpeg
In the Lindström Factory in Berlin 1929. Note the Odeon model
In the Lindström Factory in Berlin 1929. Note the Odeon model

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Thank you very much for sharing these very interesting and historical photos, Nektreg. :)
We can see from the photos that the Primax during its rather short life span, came in two versions. The tone arm is positioned differently on the the model on two different photos. I have the version with the tone arm positioned in the center on the inner section of the motor board.
I have not cleaned anything yet, and in particular not the velvet or felt, or whatever material was used to cover the lid and the record cover. I am very hesitant to clean it with anything, even if we can see there are some black marks on the record cover from the turntable.
I don't know if an upholstery cleaner can be used or not...or if it is better left as it is.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

You might clean the felt with a soft bristle brush or a vacuum cleaner set to delicate suction. Don't use anything wet or you risk shrinkage (I know this from experience).
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

NEKTREG
Victor O

Re: Parlophone Primax portable gramophon

Post by NEKTREG »

nostalgia wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 5:07 am Thank you very much for sharing these very interesting and historical photos, Nektreg. :)
We can see from the photos that the Primax during its rather short life span, came in two versions. The tone arm is positioned differently on the the model on two different photos. I have the version with the tone arm positioned in the center on the inner section of the motor board.
You‘re right - the first picture with the tonearm on the center is from a Parlophon record list of September 1928, so probably you‘re one is a older version. These also had a different lid stay

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Thanks Curt, and yes I agree. I also have experienced shrinkage after cleaning felt, and I for sure don't want to ruin this gramophone. Whatever fabric is used in the interior of the machine, using a chemical or water will most possibly do harm. A brush sounds great, thanks for the suggestion. :)

Thanks too for your input, Nektreg, regarding the dating of the gramophone. :)