Last Davey ads in the Gramophone

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Last Davey ads in the Gramophone

Post by chunnybh »

This ad appeared in The Gramophone in March and April 1972. Davey died in May of that year.
Attachments
April 1972.jpg

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Re: Last Davey ads in the Gramophone

Post by Orchorsol »

Good heavens, but that's an Expert in the Hi-Fi News front cover photo! EMG were evidently more relaxed by 1972 about the split with Ginn 40 or so years previously...
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Orchorsol wrote:Good heavens, but that's an Expert in the Hi-Fi News front cover photo! EMG were evidently more relaxed by 1972 about the split with Ginn 40 or so years previously...
EMG seem to have acknowledged as much in their description of the gramophone as "by E.M.Ginn, circa 1930." By 1972 Ginn had been dead for 13 years, and Balfour Davey had relinquished the day to day management of EMG in 1968 following the death of his brother Frank.

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

I just found it strange that the ad appeared just before Davey died. I cannot imagine it was an oversight of the management at EMG, unless that is what killed him. I doubt it. It seems to me like a final attempt at peace making.