Edison Billboard for sale no price Railroad Pa.

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
DGPros
Victor III
Personal Text: Gary

Edison Billboard for sale no price Railroad Pa.

Post by DGPros »

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/atd/4729804413.html Not mine but thought maybe someone here would want to inquire about this. I emailed, waiting to see what he is asking.
Attachments
edison billboard.jpg
edison billboard.jpg (39.48 KiB) Viewed 2184 times
Edison billboard 2.jpg
Edison billboard 2.jpg (35.24 KiB) Viewed 2184 times
Edison billboard 4.jpg
Edison billboard 4.jpg (33.84 KiB) Viewed 2184 times
Edsion Billboard 3.jpg
Edsion Billboard 3.jpg (28.8 KiB) Viewed 2184 times
In short, is not liberty the freedom of every person to make full use of his faculties, so long as he does not harm other persons while doing so?
Frederic Bastiat

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Re: Edison Billboard for sale no price Railroad Pa.

Post by fran604g »

Neat! Good luck!

Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

That's an interesting piece of Edison advertising. The man's face doesn't resemble the original in Massani's painting. I wonder if a dealer had his own face substituted somehow? Very curious... :)

It's doubtful that this is a remnant of one of the Edison Railroad Advertising Signs, shown in the May 1907 issue of The Edison Phonograph Monthly (see photo below). The Craigslist artifact is too small for that, and of course the horn equipment is different.
Edisonbillboard001.jpg
More likely, it's part of a later advertising banner, first announced in the June 1908 Edison Phonograph Monthly (see photo below).
Edisonbanner001.jpg
The location of the trademark signature doesn't correspond with either piece of advertising, but I believe there were a couple of banner variations.

It would have been great if the seller had troubled to measure the piece, instead of using a "full size horn" (whatever that means) to gauge dimensions. :roll:

George P.

DGPros
Victor III

Post by DGPros »

It would have been great if the seller had troubled to measure the piece, instead of using a "full size horn" (whatever that means) to gauge dimensions. :roll:

George P.[/quote]

I asked him what the exact dimensions are, I'll let you know if he answers back.
In short, is not liberty the freedom of every person to make full use of his faculties, so long as he does not harm other persons while doing so?
Frederic Bastiat

DGPros
Victor III

Post by DGPros »

The article states 10 feet long. It looks like the advertisement is about 4 feet. If you removed the right side of the advertisement it would work. Also this photo on page 16's horn seems to look similar, the face is odd though. Can't get a good enough look when I blow the picture up.
Attachments
Edisonbanner001.jpg
Frederic Bastiat

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Here's a scan of the commonly-found Edison advertising postcard, along with the closeup of the man's face on the large Edison artifact. I suppose the disparity could simply be artistic license...

George P.
Attachments
EdisonOldMan.jpg
EdisonOldMan.jpg (33.84 KiB) Viewed 2127 times
EdisonOldCouple002.jpg

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

George,
I think it's the same face, but enlarged to fit the banner/billboard. Part of the reason it looks different is the black outline around the face, which I assume is there because back at that time there was no PhotoShop to remove the background images. It looks like the image was outlined in black, the background removed (probably in the old method of cut and paste - literally cut and re-pasted) and maybe enlarged photographically and re-colored, because the new photographic image would be in black and white. I think the Anderson's in Florida have a re-creation of this banner...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Variations:
Attachments
10-25-2014 7-39-51 PM.png
10-25-2014 7-39-51 PM.png (293.25 KiB) Viewed 2083 times
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

DGPros
Victor III

Post by DGPros »

So I've emailed this fella 3 times asking what the dimensions of the sign were and his asking price. No reply. Can anyone explain this to me? If you're looking to sell something wouldn't you respond if you were looking to sell?
Last edited by DGPros on Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frederic Bastiat

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

One would think so...! :)

George P.