Can you identify this Electrola model?

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Re: Can you identify this Electrola model?

Post by Victrola-Monkey »

This is getting more interesting all the time. It will be interesting to interpret the screw hole patterns, once the cabinet is picked up. I can't imagine there would be two speakers because there should be two amplifiers, as seen in the RCA RAE 79. To further compare, the only other place I have seen two different speaker hole locations in the same cabinet, though both not at the same time, nor same model number is in the Radiola 50 and 51.

SkiHawx, do you remember if the amp and speaker in your RE-45S is the same as the RE-45?

UncleVanya, thanks for pointing out the wood patern above the radio similarity of the VV4-40, I knew I saw that somewhere before but couldn't figure out where. I do like the door pattern similarities of the Radiola 64 and 62 this cabinet has. Thanks for noticing the tonearm difference, that was surprising.

PeterF, that's a real clean tone arm, very much unlike the condition of the cabinet and strang to be different than SkiHawx's machine. Thank you for the info and photos. Did you pick up the ID plate? I would love to buy it or trade something from my parts inventory, if you did. I must say, it's certainly not the beauty (at least currently) that has sparked my interest, it is more its rarity. By the way, did you see the Radiola 67 she has? I bought it too. It has a good speaker but no amp or tuner. Do you have any knowledge what happened to them?

Thanks to all for your help.

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Post by Victrola-Monkey »

SkiHawx, please excuse and ignore my question to you regarding the Amp and Spkr. You had already made it clear yours has the RE-45 electronics.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

I'm a phono guy, not a radio guy, so almost nothing she had registered with me.

On this one, as soon as I saw ithat characteristic hole for the Victor radio dial, I lost interest. Those are the ones with the impenetrably tarred-up guts that are impossible to repair, as I recall.

Under the hood of that Electrola it was much cleaner than outside. No, I didn't see or get any ID badge, but I did get the automatic brake and turntable. There was no motor or any other internals. The tonearm has poorly soldered connections to the protruding wires, so somebody was messing with it sometime after it left the factory.

There's a local radio guy, mentally ill and a trust fund baby, who compulsively purchases and stores radio gear and associated things until his money runs out after periodic distributions from his trust. The storage places then auction his goods for unpaid rent. This is one of those caches.

I have friends who are in the local radio collecting world, and this is a known situation. Nobody knows where these storages are, until they are sold and pop up for resale by the usually ignorant buyers. I've been with pals as they've repurchased items that they had themselves sold to the guy.

Kind of an ugly situation, although it is somewhat pleasant to shop at such pre-collected venues. I suppose no harm is really done, on some level.

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

PeterF wrote:I'm a phono guy, not a radio guy, so almost nothing she had registered with me.

On this one, as soon as I saw ithat characteristic hole for the Victor radio dial, I lost interest. Those are the ones with the impenetrably tarred-up guts that are impossible to repair, as I recall.

Under the hood of that Electrola it was much cleaner than outside. No, I didn't see or get any ID badge, but I did get the automatic brake and turntable. There was no motor or any other internals. The tonearm has poorly soldered connections to the protruding wires, so somebody was messing with it sometime after it left the factory.

There's a local radio guy, mentally ill and a trust fund baby, who compulsively purchases and stores radio gear and associated things until his money runs out after periodic distributions from his trust. The storage places then auction his goods for unpaid rent. This is one of those caches.

I have friends who are in the local radio collecting world, and this is a known situation. Nobody knows where these storages are, until they are sold and pop up for resale by the usually ignorant buyers. I've been with pals as they've repurchased items that they had themselves sold to the guy.

Kind of an ugly situation, although it is somewhat pleasant to shop at such pre-collected venues. I suppose no harm is really done, on some level.
What a pity! By the way, these sets are not all that difficult to repair. Many radio collectors grew up with 1950's and 1960's electrionics, and are more comfortable working on sets built from, say, 1932 on, for they have "normal" chassis configurations, but if you are willing to learn the minor eccentricities of 1920's radio construction you will find these sets surprisingly easy to repair. The circuits are pretty basic. In most cases one can wire modern condensers and conceal them beneath the chassis of a Micro-Synchronous without opening up any of the cans. Replacement of these three or four $1.50 capacitors and a couple of resistors are usually all that is necessary to get one of these radios "perking". The pickup can be rebuilt by George Epple for around $50.00, then you have a really nice sounding phonograph.