Edison Spring Motor W/Bettini Attachment

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
rgordon939
Victor V

Re: Edison Spring Motor W/Bettini Attachment

Post by rgordon939 »

I retracted my bid also. I'm just not comfortable even though there is an eBay guarantee. I will continue to watch and may bid again.

Rich Gordon

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Question: If a PayPal dispute arose and a refund was requested, does PayPal re-imburse shipping costs? If not, the current bid is $56, but shipping is $220 - if the refund only returned the item price and not shipping, you could get scammed out of $220.

It's probably legit, but who knows when the item is in Spain? The question is: "What do you get back if you only receive an empty box. or nothing at all?"
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

rgordon939
Victor V

Post by rgordon939 »

I just looked on eBay for an answer to that question and here is what I found.

"If we determine that the item wasn't successfully delivered, we refund the full cost of the item and original shipping via PayPal. The seller is required to reimburse us for the amount."

So it looks like you would get all monies back including shipping. So I guess there is not much ch risk involved in bidding on this.

Rich Gordon

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Curt A wrote:Question: If a PayPal dispute arose and a refund was requested, does PayPal re-imburse shipping costs? If not, the current bid is $56, but shipping is $220 - if the refund only returned the item price and not shipping, you could get scammed out of $220.

It's probably legit, but who knows when the item is in Spain? The question is: "What do you get back if you only receive an empty box. or nothing at all?"
If you never get the item, you will be reimbursed in full (including shipping). In practice there are some pitfalls: once I bought records from France, they were shipped to Belgium instead of Luxembourg, I never got them, issued a complaint, the seller produced a receipt indicating that they had been shipped, and I never got my refund (nor the discs). EBay apparently cannot distinguish one country from another, which is not a surprise from the sample of their answers to my complaints - EBay probably does not have living beings in their customer support staff, only machines that vaguely resemble Neanderthals and are programmed to grunt at you.

The other problem that can happen is if you receive the empty box, or a box with an Edison electric razor. The burden to prove that you received the wrong item is on you, and if you elect to send it back to the vendor, you will have to pay for the shipment costs, and you are only refunded when the local post office sends the confirmation that your package was delivered.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Fund it through PayPal using a credit card. Problem solved. If you can't get eBay or the Pal to go to bat for you, do a chargeback. Your credit card won't force you to send anything back.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

GeorgeDixon
Victor I

Post by GeorgeDixon »

rgordon939 wrote:I retracted my bid also. I'm just not comfortable even though there is an eBay guarantee. I will continue to watch and may bid again.

Rich Gordon
At least one bidder retracted and now is still bidding.

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

gramophone-georg wrote:Fund it through PayPal using a credit card. Problem solved. If you can't get eBay or the Pal to go to bat for you, do a chargeback. Your credit card won't force you to send anything back.
How do you set up the Credit card Option?

I also once bought something - that was not delivered - needing communication across continents and languages, and despite Ebay / Paypal guarantees, one needs to invest a lot of time and enhanced blood pressure levels to sort it out, with the seller succeeding in his language to close the case. Phone bill was enormous!

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

I was always taught that if something is too good to be true, then it is. With the guy's low feedback, and the rarity, I'm very skeptical. Even with all the protection with pay pal and such, if there is a dispute, that really opens up a can of worms. If someone is near the seller, and can see and pay in person, pick up, that will be an excellent deal. To me, there are to many variables and loose ends to bid.
Harvey Kravitz

EarlH
Victor III

Post by EarlH »

I would ask for more pictures and be specific. If he doesn't have the machine, he won't be able to provide more pictures. I'm with you though, I am too much of a skeptic on something like that.

I did sell an Edison to a guy over in Britain about 6-8 years ago now, and he claimed he never got it and paypal wasted NO time giving him every bit of the $450 and shipping. I used to sell records for a friend of mine using a different ebay account and he emailed me asking if I had any "Stephen Foster cylinders" so I told him I'd look, but he should send me a picture of the machine he was planning on playing them on. Of course I got a photo of the machine I'd sold him several months back. Paypal told me the 90 days was up and the picture proved nothing anyway. THAT was the last thing I sold overseas. So, can say that will refund the money quickly weather it's justified or not.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Sidewinder wrote:
gramophone-georg wrote:Fund it through PayPal using a credit card. Problem solved. If you can't get eBay or the Pal to go to bat for you, do a chargeback. Your credit card won't force you to send anything back.
How do you set up the Credit card Option?

I also once bought something - that was not delivered - needing communication across continents and languages, and despite Ebay / Paypal guarantees, one needs to invest a lot of time and enhanced blood pressure levels to sort it out, with the seller succeeding in his language to close the case. Phone bill was enormous!
You should be able to go into your PayPal profile and add a credit card as a funding source. They will, of course, try to default to your bank account. However, on the payment page, there should be a "change" button near your funding source. Hit that, then select your credit card.

If you have a PayPal balance, you can't use the credit card for funding unless the purchase is more than your balance... then you can use the card for the overage only. The way I eliminate that is to deposit the balance in my attached bank account first. As soon as you do that, you can use the card. There is no lag time for this, even if it normally takes several days for the balance to be deposited in your bank account.

Caveat: This is how it works in the USA. If you are overseas, check your local Paypal policies first.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek