poodling around
Victor V

E PLURIBUS UNUM Needle tin

Post by poodling around »

Attachments
usa.jpg

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: E PLURIBUS UNUM Needle tin

Post by epigramophone »

The phrase "E Pluribus Unum" ("Out of the many, one") originated from the union of 13 colonies into a single nation, and appears on the Great Seal of the USA.

I see nothing on this tin to indicate that it originally contained gramophone needles, but our American members will be able to identify it.
Attachments
usa.png

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

epigramophone wrote:The phrase "E Pluribus Unum" ("Out of the many, one") originated from the union of 13 colonies into a single nation, and appears on the Great Seal of the USA.

I see nothing on this tin to indicate that it originally contained gramophone needles, but our American members will be able to identify it.

I have seen this tin in needle collections many times but as you say there is nothing on the tin to indicate that it originally contained gramophone needles

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

epigramophone wrote: I see nothing on this tin to indicate that it originally contained gramophone needles, but our American members will be able to identify it.
This American member has never seen or heard of a tin like this- it may well have been a foreign made product intending to deceive. For some reason, I think this contained Contraceptives.

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

estott wrote:
epigramophone wrote: I see nothing on this tin to indicate that it originally contained gramophone needles, but our American members will be able to identify it.
This American member has never seen or heard of a tin like this- it may well have been a foreign made product intending to deceive. For some reason, I think this contained Contraceptives.

Oh, so the latin should translate as 'out of many, none' :roll:

phonodesbois
Victor II

Post by phonodesbois »

Hi all,
I have a similar tin with a trademark logo on the left corner and another one marked “fortissimo” (very loud) with what looks like the same trademark... So, the “E PLURIBUS UNUM” tin could well be for needles (rather than Contraceptives!!!).

By the way, both tins were made in Germany. The “E PLURIBUS UNUM” is marked “made in Germany, 214-229, manufacturado en Alemania”. The other one is marked “made in Germany, importé d'Allemagne”.
Attachments
P1130143.JPG
P1130132-001.JPG

NateO
Victor I

Post by NateO »

phonodesbois wrote:Hi all,
I have a similar tin with a trademark logo on the left corner and another one marked “fortissimo” (very loud) with what looks like the same trademark... So, the “E PLURIBUS UNUM” tin could well be for needles (rather than Contraceptives!!!).

By the way, both tins were made in Germany. The “E PLURIBUS UNUM” is marked “made in Germany, 214-229, manufacturado en Alemania”. The other one is marked “made in Germany, importé d'Allemagne”.
I also own one of these tins with the "Made in Germany" markings. Mine retains what I assume is the original paper interior, saying to "use each point only once", so I would guess it has always held phonograph needles!
Attachments
IMG_20190515_181058.jpg
IMG_20190515_181118.jpg
- Nathan

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

The flag on the tin has 17 stripes (should be 13) and 32 stars, which would date it to the brief time period when there were 32 states in the Union (Minnesota was the 32nd state, admitted in May 1857; Oregon was the 33rd state, admitted Feb. 1858). If the tin is that old, it obviously wasn't originally a needle tin; if it's from a later date (more likely), it may or may not be an original needle tin. The flag design is erroneous in either case.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Henry wrote:The flag on the tin has 17 stripes (should be 13) and 32 stars, which would date it to the brief time period when there were 32 states in the Union (Minnesota was the 32nd state, admitted in May 1857; Oregon was the 33rd state, admitted Feb. 1858). If the tin is that old, it obviously wasn't originally a needle tin; if it's from a later date (more likely), it may or may not be an original needle tin. The flag design is erroneous in either case.
I suspect that this flag is just an artist's conception of an American flag based on general knowledge, not someone trying to copy it exactly...

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

NateO wrote:
phonodesbois wrote:Hi all,

I also own one of these tins with the "Made in Germany" markings. Mine retains what I assume is the original paper interior, saying to "use each point only once", so I would guess it has always held phonograph needles!
So yes a needle tin :D