USAAF Portable on UK eBay.

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

USAAF Portable on UK eBay.

Post by epigramophone »

This portable was used by the officers of 8th USAAF Station 345, based at RAF Goxhill in Lincolnshire.
Goxhill was the first RAF base to be handed over to the USAAF during World War 2.
Some of the buildings have been reconstructed at the Military Aviation Museum in Virginia Beach.
I do not know whether the seller would post to the USA, but that is where this machine belongs.
Yes it has condition issues and is not cheap, but even as it is it would make an interesting display item.
Although bearing a passing resemblance to an HMV102, it is probably a Primaphone. These were made in Bombay but are genuine pre-war machines, not modern reproductions.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/375326608275 ... p_homepage
Attachments
USAAF.png

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: USAAF Portable on UK eBay.

Post by Steve »

That's it, dump it on wet, stoney and muddy ground. That'll improve it no end!

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

epigramophone wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:15 pm This portable was used by the officers of 8th USAAF Station 345, based at RAF Goxhill in Lincolnshire.
Goxhill was the first RAF base to be handed over to the USAAF during World War 2.
Some of the buildings have been reconstructed at the Military Aviation Museum in Virginia Beach.
I do not know whether the seller would post to the USA, but that is where this machine belongs.
Yes it has condition issues and is not cheap, but even as it is it would make an interesting display item.
Although bearing a passing resemblance to an HMV102, it is probably a Primaphone. These were made in Bombay but are genuine pre-war machines, not modern reproductions.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/375326608275 ... p_homepage
Words fail me with this one.

Thank you very much for high-lighting this.

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Oh, the auction seems to have been cancelled because the item is 'lost or broken'.

I guess it is lost as if it is broken I suppose it could have been carefully restored by someone. Such a shame.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

poodling around wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:35 pm Oh, the auction seems to have been cancelled because the item is 'lost or broken'.

I guess it is lost as if it is broken I suppose it could have been carefully restored by someone. Such a shame.
No, my best guess is that the seller got a little greedy and ended it early as he/she took an offer which he/she thought was likely the best price they would get......off of Ebay without fees to pay etc. The "lost or broken" reason given is probably just the excuse used for pulling it. This happens quite frequently.