Craigslist alert in CA - Amberola 1A or B case

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Craigslist alert in CA - Amberola 1A or B case

Post by Roaring20s »

Has potential.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/atq/4123698635.html
Picture 5.png
Picture 5.png (198.45 KiB) Viewed 2653 times
Hmm, a picture of a picture. The grille is worth the price :coffee:

James.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Craigslist alert in CA - Amberola 1A or B case

Post by Jerry B. »

Thanks James, I think I've purchased this cabinet. I'll post some photos after I've picked it up. Jerry Blais

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

Looking forward to a report.
It looks like the horn is present too.

Good luck,
James.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

My sister picked up the cabinet and it arrived in Albany, Oregon this past Tuesday. She reported it was quite an adventure driving up old logging roads to find the cabin/house where the Amberola was stored for years. I bought the cabinet from a granddaughter of the original owner. She is living in the house that was built by her grandparents as a summer cabin. Here are some photos of the cabinet. I find it interesting that it has a rococo grill and the serial number is #123. Any thoughts?

I would like to give a big thanks to James for starting this thread. I had a lead on a 1-A mechanism with an L reproducer. I followed up on that lead and should have a complete machine after I locate a few parts. I need the three cast brackets that support the mechanism in the cabinet and the small end of the horn.

Should I purchase a reproduction lyric grill to make the cabinet more correct with the serial number? I would keep the rococo grill with the machine. I would appreciate any opinions.

Thanks, Jerry Blais
Attachments
DSC01941.jpg
DSC01943.JPG
DSC01944.JPG
DSC01940.JPG
DSC01939.jpg

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Jerry,

Based on the combination of the carved tops of the corner posts, the barrel-type lock, and the serial number, I believe your cabinet was manufactured by Pooley. That would mean that the square grille is original to it. I'll go out on a limb and guess that your drawers have metal clips, and that there are three louvers on the cabinet's sides - the longest being 11 inches.

The situation with Amberola 1A/B cabinets was described in an article in the Sept. 2009 issue of The Sound Box.

Best,

George P.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

My 1A came to me with s/n 257 on both the motor and plate, but like yours, it has the later style grille. I always assumed it was assembled from other machines, but now that I see yours, perhaps not?

Do you have numbers on the top grilles and/or the drawer backs?

Andersun
Victor III

Post by Andersun »

52089 wrote:My 1A came to me with s/n 257 on both the motor and plate, but like yours, it has the later style grille. I always assumed it was assembled from other machines, but now that I see yours, perhaps not?

Do you have numbers on the top grilles and/or the drawer backs?
257? I have 287 ;) It also has the rococo grill. They could have probably seen each other during assembly!

Roaring20s
Victor V

Post by Roaring20s »

Jerry, sometimes when it seems to good to be true... it can be true.

Glad you're finding the missing parts too.

James.