What is this?

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
ambrola
Victor IV
Personal Text: Be Careful What You Say, You Can't T ake It Back!

What is this?

Post by ambrola »

Looks home made? The horn is what I am referring to.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251366211019?ss ... 1438.l2649

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: What is this?

Post by phonogfp »

I try not to comment on auctions in progress (outside of PMs), so now that it's over, the U.S. Patent for that horn is No.705,126. I've never seen one before. Very odd looking - - like a Victrola horn stuck on a Royal! :D

By the way, the serial number of that Royal is 11 from mine. :geek:

George P.
Attachments
osten-spauldinghorn2.JPG

VintageTechnologies
Victor IV

Post by VintageTechnologies »

The records that were found with this machine sold in a different lot for more money than I would have guessed for the group. There were some good titles there, but the pictures were not good enough to guess their actual playing condition; that cooled my ardor. However, the cardboard Zon-O-Phone box they were packed in may have been what drove the price up.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

Very interesting, but the "wood inlay" on that horn is a printed paper imitation.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

VintageTechnologies wrote:The records that were found with this machine sold in a different lot for more money than I would have guessed for the group. There were some good titles there, but the pictures were not good enough to guess their actual playing condition; that cooled my ardor. However, the cardboard Zon-O-Phone box they were packed in may have been what drove the price up.
I wanted that box myself. I didn't care about the records much, but I bid over $250 just to get the box...and I didn't get it! :lol: :cry:

I'm a box guy...

George P.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

phonogfp wrote:
VintageTechnologies wrote:The records that were found with this machine sold in a different lot for more money than I would have guessed for the group. There were some good titles there, but the pictures were not good enough to guess their actual playing condition; that cooled my ardor. However, the cardboard Zon-O-Phone box they were packed in may have been what drove the price up.
I wanted that box myself. I didn't care about the records much, but I bid over $250 just to get the box...and I didn't get it! :lol: :cry:

I'm a box guy...

George P.
This is what you would have paid in the UK when they were new....
Attachments
Zonophone 001.jpg

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

You overestimate my taste. I wanted the tattered shipping box in which the records were sent to the dealer! :lol: Here was the object of my desire...

George P.
Attachments
Zonophonerecordbox1.JPG

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Much like my Berliner record box.
Early One Dozen Record Box.JPG