brunswick2.jpg
brunswick2.jpg (17.64 KiB) Viewed 2800 times
brunswick.jpg
brunswick.jpg (23.91 KiB) Viewed 2800 times

OrthoSean
Victor V

Re: Very nice Brunswick in Ottawa

Post by OrthoSean »

Wow! Neither would I! I hope one of our North of the Border member gets that. Looks like a nice high end machine and the oak really makes it.

Sean

Torjazzer
Victor II

Post by Torjazzer »

After I posted this I noticed the lid. It looks like a Victrola lid and not sitting quite right. That wouldn't bother me, though. It is a stunning piece.

phonogal
Victor IV
Personal Text: Life's Short. Be Happy!

Post by phonogal »

I believe that is the correct lid. Brunswick used a heavy spring on the lid stays. It can sometimes cause stress on the hinges so that might make the lid set funny. Easy fix if that's the case. It's a real beauty and a hard one to find.

Torjazzer
Victor II

Post by Torjazzer »

phonogal wrote:I believe that is the correct lid. Brunswick used a heavy spring on the lid stays. It can sometimes cause stress on the hinges so that might make the lid set funny. Easy fix if that's the case. It's a real beauty and a hard one to find.
Seems odd that Victor would allow Brunswick to use a lid identical to their own. This looks exactly the same shape as the lid on my XVI L-door and nothing like the lid on my Brunswick. If I had the time to make the 6-hour drive to Ottawa it would be in my living room tomorrow!

carylee
Victor O

Post by carylee »

I read somewhere that Brunswick, being that they had a large, and very good, cabinet manufacturing plant, actually made the wooden cabinets, under contract, for many if not most phonograph makers during the first part of the last century. Don't know if Brunswick made the cabinets for Victor though, since it seems Victor would have been large enough a maker to support their own cabinet shop. But if Brunswick did make them, that might account for the similarity of the lids.

Found the article, here's the link: http://www.gracyk.com/brunswick.shtml
"Before we start, the Steinway people have asked me to say that I'm playing a Baldwin piano tonight.." -Victor Borge

phonogal
Victor IV

Post by phonogal »

Here is a link to a picture of one that was sold on Ebay. There is a good picture of the lid. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brunswick-Phono ... 7675.l2557
Attachments
Brunswicklid.jpg

phonogal
Victor IV

Post by phonogal »

Anyone on the board pick this up? It's a steal for that price.