For Sale: Columbia Grand Cylinder 5"

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
rgordon939
Victor V

For Sale: Columbia Grand Cylinder 5"

Post by rgordon939 »

This is a very unusual and hard to find Columbia Grand Cylinder from the Columbia Graphophone Company of New York and Paris. The cylinder is #1557 and the title is "El Capitan Waltz" by Gilmore's Band. The cylinder is in EXCELLENT + condition. It dates between 1896 and 1900 according to The Preservation and Digitalization Project website of the University of California, Santa Barbara. Here is the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/200987572160?ss ... 1555.l2649

Will be posting a bunch more.

Rich Gordon
Attachments
image.jpg

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: For Sale: Columbia Grand Cylinder 5"

Post by phonogfp »

rgordon939 wrote:This is a very unusual and hard to find Columbia Grand Cylinder from the Columbia Graphophone Company of New York and Paris. The cylinder is #1557 and the title is "El Capitan Waltz" by Gilmore's Band. It dates between 1896 and 1900 according to The Preservation and Digitalization Project website of the University of California, Santa Barbara.
Rich Gordon
Just a clarification: Columbia's Graphophone Grand and the 5 inch Grand cylinders were first demonstrated publicly in December 1898, so it's doubtful that this cylinder dates any earlier than 1899. :geek:

George P.

rgordon939
Victor V

Post by rgordon939 »

Thank for the info. I was just listing the information I found about the cylinder on the University of California, Santa Barbara Cylinder Preservation and Digitizations website and on page three of my copy of "Two-minute Brown Wax and XP Cylinder Records of The Columbia Phonograph Company by Kenneth M. Lorenz.

Rich Gordon

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

rgordon939 wrote:Thank for the info. I was just listing the information I found about the cylinder on the University of California, Santa Barbara Cylinder Preservation and Digitizations website and on page three of my copy of "Two-minute Brown Wax and XP Cylinder Records of The Columbia Phonograph Company by Kenneth M. Lorenz.

Rich Gordon
You're very welcome. Santa Barbara and Lorenz document the catalog number and title, but not the media (in this case, the 5-inch format). :)

George P.

VintageTechnologies
Victor IV

Post by VintageTechnologies »

I wonder how many of those survive shipment through the mail? I have a tough enough time receiving broken 78s.

rgordon939
Victor V

Post by rgordon939 »

I have shipped about 60 of these Concert a Cylinders and have had only one problem? It's all in the packing.

Rich Gordon

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Rich, What's your packing method? I assume you protect the cylinder by packing inside the record as well as around the carton and double box. Is that correct? Thanks for any tips. We all want these things to survive. Thanks, Jerry

rgordon939
Victor V

Post by rgordon939 »

Hi Jerry,
Last edited by rgordon939 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

rgordon939
Victor V

Post by rgordon939 »

Jerry B. wrote:Rich, What's your packing method? I assume you protect the cylinder by packing inside the record as well as around the carton and double box. Is that correct? Thanks for any tips. We all want these things to survive. Thanks, Jerry

Hi Jerry,

That is almost exactly how I pack them. The only difference is I use either the heavy cardboard tubes you would find rugs rolled up on, or large PVC pipe. I cut it into sections about 6" long and pack the cylinder inside it. The tube is strong enough to protect the cylinder inside it in case the shipper drops something heavy on the box. I do the same with high priced standard cylinders such as Biglow & Main cylinders I shipped overseas.

Rich Gordon