New Cylinders from CLPGS

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
RefSeries
Victor I

Re: New Cylinders from CLPGS

Post by RefSeries »

Dear Dave

To be frank we haven't tried tone experiments of that type, as we have focused more on recording techniques, trying to get the best out of the source cylinders themselves. We have judged our success by ear, which is not very scientific but at least matches the way in which the bulk of users of the cylinders will listen to them. I don't know if Duncan Miller of Vulcan has done this with a view to seeing what he can get out of his masters, but I will ask him when I see him next.

From a quick look with a spectrum analyser during the recording process, in preparing the source sound for Vulcan to use to drive the cutter, we haven't been able to get above 5-6KHz from good condition/little played wax cylinders, perhaps a little bit more from electrically recorded blue Amberols. It would be interesting to look at the science a little bit more - have you done any research in to this, or looked at your or other recordings on a 'scope?

Regards

Keith

Dave Cawley
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Her Master's Voice www.78-rpm.com Archival - Restoration

Post by Dave Cawley »

Hi Keith

I'm just starting on cylinders and find it fascinating that you can record on them. You can see my latest, cylinder unrelated project here, http://www.soundhifi.com/images/Timestep-RA-78rpm.pdf

Cylinders are next ! My test gear is here http://www.soundhifi.com/test.html

Working with the Prestige 16 2/3rpm Jazz series, it intuitively feels that cylinders could go to 10Khz using modern recording techniques. The problem I see is the horn in the replay system. Maybe I'll put a transducer in the bottom, or on the reproducer stylus and see what it actually gives.

But I don't want to, or need to, re-invent the wheel if someone has already done it !

Regards

Dave
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. Arthur C. Clarke

Wagnerian
Victor II

Post by Wagnerian »

As part of the upgrading of the City of London Phonograph and Gramophone Society web-site, it is now possible to see, hear and purchase these cylinders on-line with just a click of the mouse. For more information simply go to:

http://www.clpgs.org.uk/masters_series_page.htm

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all those who have bought the cylinders and helped to make the Masters Series such a success so far.

A merry christmas and a happy new year to you all.

Regards

Tim W-W

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Thanks for sharing the link to order - I've just ordered both titles for my collection! :)

Sean

Wagnerian
Victor II

Post by Wagnerian »

Thanks Sean,

They are now winging their way to you by air-mail. I hope you enjoy your cylinders.

All the best

Tim W-W

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

OrthoSean wrote:Thanks for sharing the link to order - I've just ordered both titles for my collection! :)

Sean
I'm sure you won't be dissappointed when you hear them on your Triumph Sean!