fmblizz
Victor IV

Columbia Toy,,, pocket change

Post by fmblizz »

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Re: Columbia Toy,,, pocket change

Post by Phonofreak »

It's a super rare, complete machine. If I ever win the lottery, I'd get it in a heart beat.
Harvey Kravitz

fmblizz
Victor IV

Post by fmblizz »

Stand in line Harvey.... LOL

blizz

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

fmblizz wrote:Stand in line Harvey.... LOL

blizz
Either of you could ask Raphael about a "lay away" plan.... :lol: :lol: :lol:.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

gramophone78 wrote:
fmblizz wrote:Stand in line Harvey.... LOL

blizz
Either of you could ask Raphael about a "lay away" plan.... :lol: :lol: :lol:.
Yes: lay it away until you get reincarnated as the Sultan of Brunei or something... ;)

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

If memory serves (a dubious proposition at my age), the only one I've ever seen was in a display case at the Sanfilippo estate.

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

FloridaClay wrote:If memory serves (a dubious proposition at my age), the only one I've ever seen was in a display case at the Sanfilippo estate.

Clay
Actually, there are a few out there.....believe it or not. I remember a near mint in box one was shown on the Antiques Road Show. A well known dealer/auctioneer did the "table" appraisal. I was just shocked when I saw how he tried to play (roughly) one of the records... :shock:.

Dave
Victor II
Personal Text: Gramophonist

Post by Dave »

gramophone78 wrote:
FloridaClay wrote:If memory serves (a dubious proposition at my age), the only one I've ever seen was in a display case at the Sanfilippo estate.

Clay
Actually, there are a few out there.....believe it or not. I remember a near mint in box one was shown on the Antiques Road Show. A well known dealer/auctioneer did the "table" appraisal. I was just shocked when I saw how he tried to play (roughly) one of the records... :shock:.
Is he kind of like this poor guy?... :o
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-eF2FgwBFI[/youtube]

fonograph
Victor II

Post by fonograph »

I've got a story to tell about a Columbia Toy. It's rather long, but might be worth telling.

A friend of mine would come by my house and ask "Why the heck do you collect those stupid victrolas (or whatever they're called)"? After he said that, he would always want to hear a record or two (or three). He was originally from Akron Ohio. One weekend (back in 07 I think)he went home for a family reunion. He was telling his uncle about all of my "victrolas" and unk said, I've got a little player in my attic. He took him upstairs and showed it to him and asked if he wanted it. My friend said "no, I'm flying and don't want to carry that stupid thing back". I quized him about it, but he had no interest in giving details (and frankly, I'm thinking a Q or B at best). One day when he was over at my house, I gave him one of my phono books and asked him to point out which one unk had. He went straight to the Columbia Toy, even describing the operation with his finger and the little box. I went nuts and demanded that he call his uncle and make an offer. You have to know this guy, but after a few days, he did call him. His uncle said that his niece (my friends sister) wanted it and was going to sell it. I tried all the tactics to get "him" to call "her" and tell me what she would take for the machine. Finally, one day he confided in me. He said that his sister listed it on craigslist for $2000. He also said that she thought that she got "taken" because the two guys that came to buy the machine didn't question the price.....and when they were leaving she saw them high-five each other..... so, I know of at least one other toy that was out there. BTW, we were still friends after that....

welshfield
Victor II

Post by welshfield »

I wonder how much musicaltreasuresofmiami paid for this setup--i.e. how much profit he is making on this.