Edison signed Montana phonograph Stock Certificate....... ??

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
fmblizz
Victor IV

Edison signed Montana phonograph Stock Certificate....... ??

Post by fmblizz »

Ebay listing ending today. First one of these I've seen in red...Always had a feeling that the other, unissued certificates usually sold were reproductions.

I sure don't think the signature is legit and I can not find where Edison was ever the president of Montana Phonograph Co which is where his signature is.

Anyone out there have opinions on this item..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thomas-Edison-M ... 101wt_1192

Since I collect phono related certificates I'd like to buy it but the signature put me off.

Blizz

Victor VI

Re: Edison signed Montana phonograph Stock Certificate......

Post by 52089 »

The signature is definitely secretarial, not signed by TAE himself.

FYI, the most readily available genuine Edison signatures are those on the payroll checks of the Edison Botanic Research Co. which were sold very cheaply in the 60s and 70s. These currently sell for around $600. Meeting minutes of various Edison companies signed by TAE are also available, generally in the same price range, as are canceled promissory notes (loan receipts).

fmblizz
Victor IV

Post by fmblizz »

thanks for the reply. I am more interested in collecting different phonograph stock certificates,, issued or non issued (speciment). An Edison signature on a related stock certificate would be a great acquisition but I'm sure it would be out of my price range...I mean my wifes price range.. LOL

Blizz

briankeith
Victor IV
Personal Text: Jeepster

Post by briankeith »

I have two genuine TA Edison signatures. This one's not even close :roll:

MTPhono
Victor III

Post by MTPhono »

I hate to say it but it is a total fake. All of the signed certificates are accounted for and not in private hands. I have photocopies of them all - NONE look like this one. Another fellow board member was offered a similar certificate (signed, dated etc) and it too was a fake. The original certificates are not this color either. Fake, fake, fake!

Let the buyer beware!