New Twist on an Amberola 30

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

New Twist on an Amberola 30

Post by CDBPDX »

Attachments
A30-Cabinet0001.jpg
A30-Cabinet0002.jpg
A30-Cabinet0003.jpg
Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Castle Rock, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz_IpaVrW8

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Re: New Twist on an Amberola 30

Post by Phonofreak »

I saw this and has been on my watch list. I don't know if this was an aftermarket factory cabinet or a custom made one. The workmanship is superb. I wish I can afford it.
Harvey Kravitz

VintageTechnologies
Victor IV

Post by VintageTechnologies »

It's a gorgeous cabinet, but once I heard cylinders through a cygnet horn, I could never abide the puny sound of an Amberola 30.

phononut
Victor I
Personal Text: Music's Re-Creation is Mr. Edison's most sublime gift to mankind.

Post by phononut »

Very unique. I have a tendency to believe at one time in its life this cabinet was part of a disc machine. Its proportions very much represent that, however whoever retrofitted the Amberola in did an excellent job. With the record drawers it is a very charming arrangement!

Brad

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

Definitely some kind of conversion, nicely done except for the smeary quality of the exterior finish.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

phononut wrote:Very unique. I have a tendency to believe at one time in its life this cabinet was part of a disc machine. Its proportions very much represent that, however whoever retrofitted the Amberola in did an excellent job. With the record drawers it is a very charming arrangement!

Brad
I wonder. Most disc machine cabinets have double doors to the record compartment, and I see no trace of a filled in hole where an earlier winding handle might have been located.

If this cabinet was indeed purpose built, what a pity the constructor did not go the extra mile and fit the Amberola 50 mechanism. He would have ended up with a very superior 75!