Circassian(?) XVI Case on Kentucky Craigslist

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
mattrx
Victor IV

Circassian(?) XVI Case on Kentucky Craigslist

Post by mattrx »

http://bgky.craigslist.org/atq/4289440544.html

I contacted the seller of this cabinet and she sent pictures to my phone. It appears to be a circassion walnut cabinet with no motor, horn, doors or lid. Looks decent in the pics. Someone may need legs, molding, shelf, etc and may want to contact seller. It is not my item and not my sale. I prefer a complete machine and not just the cabinet, but someone may need it.

I hope someone can save this, just not me.

Matt
Attachments
image.jpeg
image (3).jpeg
image (2).jpeg
image (1).jpeg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Circassian(?) XVI Case on Kentucky Craigslist

Post by JerryVan »

I don't believe that's circassian walnut. I think that's the "American Walnut" option, apparently with burl insets. What a shame.

mattrx
Victor IV

Post by mattrx »

Because the top looks fairly well done (look at the corners) and the finish matches well, is there any chance this once was a matching record cabinet for a Victrola?

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

mattrx wrote:Because the top looks fairly well done (look at the corners) and the finish matches well, is there any chance this once was a matching record cabinet for a Victrola?
Matt, sorry I'm going to ask you a silly question.........you did see the Victrola XVI marked label on the inside.....right??. No such luck being a record cabinet there.... ;).

mattrx
Victor IV

Post by mattrx »

I did see that XVI tag inside. I have also seen pics of record cabinets made to look like the phonographs they were to be paired with. I have never actually seen one in person and have no idea how they might be marked inside or if they would be marked inside. I know Sonora made matching cabinets to some of their phonographs, like the ones pictured below. Did Victor do the same? I seem to remember a thread here a while back on a special finish Victrola with a matching record cabinet.
Attachments
SonoraSupreme.jpg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Matt,

I really wondered the same thing, especially since it's so well done. Notice that the depth of the cabinet has also been reduced but, very neatly. What intrigued me most was that I didn't see a crank hole. I don't think it was cut down so much that the crank hole would be eliminated. Also, wondered if a XVI would have such elaborate back legs, as this cabinet seems to.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

JerryVan wrote:Matt,

I really wondered the same thing, especially since it's so well done. Notice that the depth of the cabinet has also been reduced but, very neatly. What intrigued me most was that I didn't see a crank hole. I don't think it was cut down so much that the crank hole would be eliminated. Also, wondered if a XVI would have such elaborate back legs, as this cabinet seems to.

Now I'm curious....have either of you (or any member) ever seen or heard of "Victrola XVI record cabinet" or even a mention in any of the Paul/Fabrizo books...???. Maybe in LFD..??.I know I haven't.

The real give away (besides the fact it is still for sale) are the tell tale signs of "crude and mismatched" cutting to narrow (circled in red). Then there's the cheap wood used for the back. No major (or minor) respectable cabinet shop would have let this out the factory door..... :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:. If my math is correct......this should now be a very rare Victrola VIII floor model.
Of course I could always be wrong..... :lol: :lol:
image %282%29.jpeg
image %282%29.jpeg (120.91 KiB) Viewed 2738 times
image %283%29.jpeg
image %283%29.jpeg (95.16 KiB) Viewed 2738 times

mattrx
Victor IV

Post by mattrx »

Thank you for the clarification. No I haven't seen one of these in any of the books and maybe there is a reason for that...none were made.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

gramophone78 wrote:
JerryVan wrote:Matt,

Now I'm curious....have either of you (or any member) ever seen or heard of "Victrola XVI record cabinet" or even a mention in any of the Paul/Fabrizo books...???. Maybe in LFD..??.I know I haven't.

The real give away (besides the fact it is still for sale) are the tell tale signs of "crude and mismatched" cutting to narrow (circled in red). Then there's the cheap wood used for the back. No major (or minor) respectable cabinet shop would have let this out the factory door..... :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:. If my math is correct......this should now be a very rare Victrola VIII floor model.
Of course I could always be wrong..... :lol: :lol:
image %282%29.jpeg
image %283%29.jpeg
No, of course I've never heard of a Victrola XVI record cabinet. Which makes me wonder, since I never suggested this was one, why do you ask? I just said that I found it to be nicely done. Apparently you do not. So be it, no need for sarcastic rebuttals.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

JerryVan wrote: No, of course I've never heard of a Victrola XVI record cabinet. Which makes me wonder, since I never suggested this was one, why do you ask? I just said that I found it to be nicely done. Apparently you do not. So be it, no need for sarcastic rebuttals.
Jerry, I was not trying to be sarcastic. I was trying to be funny. Sorry if you thought otherwise..... :oops:.