Would this machine be worth saving?

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
morgantheavenger
Victor I

Would this machine be worth saving?

Post by morgantheavenger »

I saw this on eBay looks interesting I always keep my eye open for machines that are odd in chataractics. What do you guys think on this machine is it worth buying and fixing it up or is it just one of those items that are just to much? You tell me your thoughts on this machine. Item number is 231130964564

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: Would this machine be worth saving?

Post by Steve »

No, to my eyes, it's simply not worth the money or effort. It's been on a while and no one has snapped it up at the Buy it Now Price. That should tell you something.

morgantheavenger
Victor I

Post by morgantheavenger »

Yes I just wanted to see what whay your opinions we're thanks so much.

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

This is the listing under discussion. http://www.ebay.com/itm/231130964564?ru ... 26_rdc%3D1

Considering the the missing reproducer, the chunk out of the corner, etc., and that it is a lower end model, $150 seems high--even though the seller is offering free shipping and wouldn't make much from it. I am guessing that a United branded reproducer might not be all that easy to come by as well.

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

A bit pricy- those reproducers were specific to Columbia's client machines and aren't in common supply. also, the records aren't plentiful - they turn up less than the ½ inch hole Standard discs.

If you're interested in it I'd suggest contacting George Vollema to see if he at least has a reproducer.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

I've been following that machine. I agree, it is a bit pricey. It needs some help. However, this is a scarce machine. These don't turn up very often. In today's market, a pristine, complete example will go between $200.00 - $250. The reproducer is an unmarked client with the same fitting as a typical Grafonols reproducer. I have several of these types of reproducers all rebuilt. If the seller is willing to take an offer of $100.00 including shipping, go for it. Like the other poster said, United records are also scarce. If you are able to get this machine cheap, I can help you with the reproducer.
Harvey Kravitz

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

It's not so bad. The missing corner post would bug me more than the reproducer being gone. Another reproducer could be had easily enough. Will the buyer accept an offer?

fmblizz
Victor IV

Post by fmblizz »

pic's sent to you PM as requested for this machine..

blizz