eBay: Victor R with taper arm?

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

eBay: Victor R with taper arm?

Post by alang »

There is a Victor R with taper arm on eBay. I know LFTD says there were some late examples with a "Remove for taper arm" tag, but that somehow doesn't look right. The tonearm sits way too high, so even if the needle would hit near the spindle, it would do so in a nearly 90 degree angle. Then an adapter with a larger Victor morning glory horn on top. I'm surprised it does not fall over. Could that really be correct?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VICTOR-R-REAR-M ... 6016.l4276

Thanks
Andreas

Bruce
Victor III

Re: eBay: Victor R with taper arm?

Post by Bruce »

Andreas

I agree the back horn mount sits too high.
I am guessing that the ebay bracket is from an early Victor II. It is larger than back brackets found on Victor Rs. The mounting bolts are on the lower side of the bracket which limits the ability to move the bracket up or down to adapt to the use of a Concert or Exhibition reproducer.

Many times I am surprised with the prices I see on ebay and this case is no different. Considering the admitted to replacement parts and damaged horn I am impressed that the current (reserve not met) bid of over $ 1,000.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

I have seen this machine on ebay. The crank is a reproduction for a Victor M or MS. It's much to big for this machine. The horn, elbow, and adapter is out of proportion with the machine. Years ago, I did see a Victor R in a collection. It had the bracket like you see on a Victor E or early Victor I. It had the correct small elbow and BB horn. As I remember, the bracket was a little high, but not to bad. The angle of the reproducer was slightly off, but better than this Victor R. I have a back mount Victor R that I just got. Mine is all original with the early small elbow with the pins,and small BB horn. My bracket sits a little high, like the one I described, but not to bad. The back of my case has the multiple holes for a front mount, and back bracket.The back bracket holes are for the bracket to either be set for an Exhibition or a Concert reproducer. I don't think the Concert will work, because it will sit really high and not at the right angle to play a record.The motor is being worked on, and when I get it back, I will have my buddy post the pictures on the forum.
Harvey Kravitz

fmblizz
Victor IV

Post by fmblizz »

This thing at $1650 with time to go...??

blizz

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

It sold for $1,649. The arm and mount don't look right to me either.

Clay
Attachments
r3.jpg
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.