An interesting XVII on Etsy

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Cody K
Victor III

An interesting XVII on Etsy

Post by Cody K »

Here's a nicely decorated XVII on Etsy. Vernis-Martin? I don't know about that, but it does look like an early makeover, which seems to be pretty well done. No affiliation with the seller.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/124504691/e ... fgodQBEAwQ
Attachments
il_570xN.430838038_rirs.jpg

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Re: An interesting XVII on Etsy

Post by estott »

I don't have near that money, but I'd want to see a better picture of the paintings before committing - this one looks almost like paint-by-numbers work. If it really is period work I'd worry that there's been a poor restoration.
Attachments
martin.jpg

Cody K
Victor III

Post by Cody K »

I agree that the quality of the painting isn't quite first-class. Looks a bit more like the brusque kind of work you'd see in a painted stage backdrop of the period. The biggest point of suspicion for me is the extremely crisp line around the decorations on the doors. That would usually seem to indicate either something like decals or a non-adept repainting of the body color, I'd think. Still, interesting, and rather pretty.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

estott wrote: this one looks almost like paint-by-numbers work.

I thought the exact same thing. Also, the Victrola logo inside the lid being painted over would not be normal either.

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

When I saw the photo I immediately thought that the machine must have come from New York. These aftermarket decorated machines were varety popular in certain ethnic neighborhoods, most notably Yorkville and Astoria. A number of decorating studios would do this sort of work. I really think that it is period, though of course it does not appear to be of the best quality.