Silvertone Victrola Question-Craigslist Harrisburg, PA

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
gemering
Victor IV

Silvertone Victrola Question-Craigslist Harrisburg, PA

Post by gemering »

I saw this Silvertone victrola on CL this morning.

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/atd/4355239579.html

I did not realize (in my ignorance), that Silvertone made such a pretty machine.
The price seems high to me, so I am not interested in buying it, unless the price drops, but am curious about the performance and true value of this model.
I know many members are reluctant to discuss price, so feel free to pm.
Thanks!
Gene

Joe_DS
Victor I

Re: Silvertone Victrola Question-Craigslist Harrisburg, PA

Post by Joe_DS »

The price seems very high, but I guess it depends on the overall condition of the cabinet & components. This is a circa-1927, (near) top of the line Sears "Tru-Phonic" model, which was designed to compete with the Orthophonic, Viva-Tonal, etc. models. About the only similarly designed Tru-Phonic models I've seen have been pretty beaten up, and they were priced at half that amount. Along this line, I wish the seller had posted some close-up shots of the lid, sides and back.

Joe

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

It is a handsome machine. Perhaps you could negotiate it down a bit if the seller is willing to deal.

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

Googlemap says this place is in New Freedom, PA, almost in Maryland (south of H'burg off of I-83).

Damfino59
Victor II

Post by Damfino59 »

I believe that model may also have housed a radio set too. That would have been covered by the doors. Maybe that is why the seller doesn't have the doors open? It's just an open space now?

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

[quote="Damfino59"]I believe that model may also have housed a radio set too. That would have been covered by the doors. Maybe that is why the seller doesn't have the doors open? It's just an open space now?[/quote

Some of the Truphonic models had radios, or a radio option. That one is in much better condition than other Truphonic machines I've seen - in general they are a bit more cheaply built than earlier Silvertones. They aren't as common either, I think that in the Orthophonic era many customers would go for a low end Victor like the Consolette instead.

briankeith
Victor IV
Personal Text: Jeepster

Post by briankeith »

Gene - Silvertones are some of my favorite talking machines. They had some really nice cabinet styles and quality motors. The oak uprights are very pretty and well made.
Attachments
Scan.jpg
Scan.jpg (81.61 KiB) Viewed 1810 times