Post by Lucius1958 »

Nice!

If I had the room….. or a truck….. ;)

Bill

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Re: Credenza with brass reproducer

Post by FloridaClay »

It looks like it might clean up to be a real treasure, being an early example, if it doesn't get too high. The last brass Orthophonic reproducer that sold on eBay brought $375.

It would be nice to know if the electric motor works. As an aside, given that I have not had to do that yet, what does it cost to get the electric motors in these machines rebuilt?

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

FloridaClay wrote:It would be nice to know if the electric motor works. As an aside, given that I have not had to do that yet, what does it cost to get the electric motors in these machines rebuilt?

Clay
If it has the induction disc motor in it, they're pretty simple and bullet-proof and it likely still works. Sometimes a coil will open and replacements can be easily found. Replacing wiring is simple too, but I've only had maybe two that actually had brittle wiring in them. I've owned several machines with the induction motors over the years and only ever had one with a bad coil in it.

Sean

Cody K
Victor III

Post by Cody K »

609.JPG
609.JPG (45.71 KiB) Viewed 2179 times
For those joining late, $609 was the closing price.

gemering
Victor IV

Post by gemering »

I was watching this auction closely.
The final price was higher than I thought it would be.
I suppose the brass reproducer made the difference.
Without seeing the machine in person, if the finish is just dirty and not worn, I guess someone did ok?
I'm interested in what others think.
Gene

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

Well bought in my book, unless there is some substantial hidden damage. I am not nearly as put off by a little dirt as I used to be. I have seen too many fine machines that just need cleaning, lubrication, and adjustment.

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

ejackett
Victor II

Post by ejackett »

I agree with Clay I'm not put off by a little dirt either and that credenza looks like it would clean up real nice too bad I didn't have the room for it either.
I bought a VV-8-4 about a year and a half ago that was also covered in dirt and dust and it cleaned up nice. The original owner had it converted to electric from crank back in 1927, the electric motor was made in rochester and works fine I only changed the cord that plugs into the wall outlet, it also has a brass reproducer (very nice condition. here's a couple of picks. I really like this machine and it only cost me 200.00
Gene