HMV 145 for sale at shop in San Francisco

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Joe_DS
Victor I

HMV 145 for sale at shop in San Francisco

Post by Joe_DS »

This is not from craigslist or ebay, but there's no category for things spotted in shops:

SEE: http://www.mccarneysfurniture.com/produ ... irca-1915/

I saw this in person last Saturday--Apri 5th.

The HMV 145 does not turn up often in the Bay Area. It's the first one I've ever seen in person. They had it mis-dated, of course; it dates from about 1930. Condition-wise, it has a few scratches in the finish, but nothing that couldn't easily be taken care of with a good cleaning and waxing. It wound okay, the motor ran quietly and the sound quality was excellent--about on par with a Consolette, with a stronger impression of bass, though not as loud. From what I could tell, the sound box may have been overhauled. It looked to be in perfect condition, as did most of the hardware's plating.

The only real issue is the missing grille cloth. The wire mesh backing, used on this model, still remains in place, with a few strands of the original grille cloth clinging to the corners.

The price has actually been reduced twice, according to the tag, so I think the seller may be willing to negotiate just to get it out of the shop. The shop is full of the usual imported "European Antiques" but the owner said that gramophones turn up regularly.

Joe

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: HMV 145 for sale at shop in San Francisco

Post by epigramophone »

The HMV145 turns up fairly regularly on UK Ebay and is an excellent machine, especially suitable for homes where space is limited. The mahogany version pictured was outsold 3 to 1 by the cheaper oak.

I owned an identical example for over 40 years, and only sold it to make room for a larger and rarer machine. The new owner lives within easy walking distance, so I still get to see and hear it regularly.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

I own an Oak 145 that I was able to buy since it's was for sale near a friend in Delaware. Great little machine! I love the fact that I can pick it up and drag it around the house (or outside) to play. Acoustics sound fantastic on it, as do electrics. Adelina Patti comes to life on this nice little machine. Well worth owning one if you have the chance. Joe, what were they asking for this if I may ask?

Sean

Joe_DS
Victor I

Post by Joe_DS »

OrthoSean wrote:... Joe, what were they asking for this if I may ask?

Sean
Hi Sean:

Clicking on the link that appears right under the photo should take you directly to the page. If not -- here's a copy:
Capture.JPG
I thought that $345.00 was a tad much, given the missing grille cloth, and the fact that the cabinet could stand some going over. I noticed on the page, though, it does come with a one year warranty, so it might have been gone over, mechanically. (I forgot to ask when I was there.)

Joe