Amazing Class M in France with Bettini reproducer and case

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Garret
Victor IV

Re: Amazing Class M in France with Bettini reproducer and ca

Post by Garret »

raphael wrote:Any time a seller refuses to ship, arrange shipping, or otherwise puts an obstacle in front of a buyer, no matter how deep the pockets may be, it limits the market, especially with big-ticket items. The more money people have, the more they want to be accommodated. If the seller of this item had offered free world-wide shipping (which would not have cost more than say, $1,000), I would guess that the item would have sold for $5,000 more at least.
Raphael
That's an excellent point, one which I will be sure to remember. Thank you for sharing!

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

Garret wrote:
raphael wrote:Any time a seller refuses to ship, arrange shipping, or otherwise puts an obstacle in front of a buyer, no matter how deep the pockets may be, it limits the market, especially with big-ticket items. The more money people have, the more they want to be accommodated. If the seller of this item had offered free world-wide shipping (which would not have cost more than say, $1,000), I would guess that the item would have sold for $5,000 more at least.
Raphael
That's an excellent point, one which I will be sure to remember. Thank you for sharing!
Yes, that is a good point. I suppose if I were dripping $25k+ on a machine, I'd want the seller to be a little more accommodating.

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV
Personal Text: A new blank with authentic formula and spiral core!

Post by edisonphonoworks »

If I was selling a Class M I would NOT want it shipped. We are loosing too many machines to shipping,even properly packed. Since automated machinery, I have grown very sour to shipping.

kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

Post by kirtley2012 »

Here are the rest of the pictures for future reference:
$_57 (1).JPG
$_57 (2).JPG
$_57 (3).JPG
$_57 (4).JPG
$_57 (5).JPG
$_57 (6).JPG
$_57 (7).JPG
$_57 (8).JPG
$_57 (9).JPG
$_57 (10).JPG

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

edisonphonoworks wrote:If I was selling a Class M I would NOT want it shipped. We are loosing too many machines to shipping,even properly packed. Since automated machinery, I have grown very sour to shipping.
Expensive antiques far more valuable than a Class M are shipped every day of the week. Do you think the folks at Sotheby's ask their clients to fend for themselves? Of course not. To reach the top of the market, you have to make it easier, not harder, for a bidder to play the game.
I ship antique phonographs, music boxes and clocks world-wide and without offering this service there is no doubt in my mind that my sales would plummet to near zero.
In this case the seller could have at least offered to take the machine to a professional antiques shipper. I still think he forfeited at least $5k in sales price by not doing so.

Raphael

US PHONO
Victor II

Post by US PHONO »

I think that the seller is a "brocanteuse" = general dealer - house clearances etc - and had no idea what he had. He is probably still celebrating at the price he received!

He actually did say in the description: Livraison dans le monde entier - Delivery worldwide