Flemish (?) Oak X-IV on e-bay...

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
FloridaClay
Victor VI

Re: Flemish (?) Oak X-IV on e-bay...

Post by FloridaClay »

Shouldn't be all that hard to find a motor, crank, etc. for it, provided that the motor board did not get butchered. Finding a matching motor board might be a good deal tougher.

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

The motor is a common Victrola 4 spring motor. It was used in the VV XIV, XVI, Arabic number series, and up to the Orthophonic machines.
Harvey Kravitz

welshfield
Victor II

Post by welshfield »

It IS only 10 miles from me but isn't that price too high? Buying correct motor, $75-100, speed control, $25, crank, $35, total, $310-335 plus finding correct screws, clean up, etc.
Finding a complete one, $175-200.
John

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

It seems to me that $200.00 or less would be a lucky find for a Flemish oak XIV. I regularly attend Stantons auctions (just spent last Thur - Sat in Charlotte). I see many Victor uprights, mostly in red or brown mahogany with the occasional one in golden oak, but I can't remember seeing an XIV, let alone one in such a special finish. I think one could buy this machine, restore it and make money on it, even if I took it to the auction when I was done.
Case in point: normally, a common XVI in mahogany generally sells for around $400.00, maybe a little more if it is in top condition. This last auction they had an American walnut XVI in beautiful original condition with almost a full set of albums which sold for $800.00. Even that price was considered a little low by some of the dealers I talked to.
As far as parts needed to complete the machine, they are all common and easily available. Nothing exotic at all. Remember also that a 12" turntable will cover most of that motorboard, so even that may not be as bad as it looks at first glance. It's also possible that you could bargain with the owner, based on the fact that the machine is not original and depending on how much he actually knows about it.

Jim