eBay Inc. To Ask eBay Users To Change Passwords

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
rodpickett
Victor II

Post by rodpickett »

Posted May 21st, 2014 at 8:50 AM Filed in: General Announcements

Earlier today eBay Inc. announced it is aware of unauthorized access to eBay systems that may have exposed some customer information. There is no evidence that financial data was compromised and there is no evidence that PayPal or our customers have been affected by the unauthorized access to eBay systems. We are working with law enforcement and leading security experts to aggressively investigate the matter.
As a precaution, we will be asking all eBay users (both buyers and sellers) to change their passwords later today. As a global marketplace, nothing is more important to eBay than the security and trust of our customers. We regret any inconvenience or concern that this situation may cause you. We know our customers and partners have high expectations of us, and we are committed to ensuring a safe and secure online experience for you on any connected device.
Click here for updates and additional information.

- See more at: http://announcements.ebay.com/2014/05/e ... ei60Y.dpuf

VintageTechnologies
Victor IV

Re: eBay Inc. To Ask eBay Users To Change Passwords

Post by VintageTechnologies »

NOTHING is secure, but look on the bright side - eBay has been hacked far less often than our government.

victorIIvictor
Victor II

Post by victorIIvictor »

Thank you very much, Rod. I am amused that I learned about this here, when eBay sends me so many irrelevant "look what your favorite sellers are offering" emails. Not a word from them about this, however.

Best wishes, Mark

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

I did not receive a warning email from eBay either, but knew about it from news reports. The system was overloaded yesterday afternoon, but I managed to get my pass word changed last night. When I logged in this morning, there was a big banner warning at the top of the home page.

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

I also found out from a news bulletin, which reported that the hacking problem originated in February/March.

Why did it take eBay until now to warn their millions of users worldwide?

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

Got the email notice from them today.

As to why so long, I expect as in most of these cases it took awhile for them to notice that something was amiss and track down what had happened.

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.