Nice Fixer-Upper

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Joe_DS
Victor I

Nice Fixer-Upper

Post by Joe_DS »

There's probably not much interest in these common table top Victrolas, but this one seems exceptionally nice for $125, even with a possible busted spring:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/atq/4499738107.html
1Capture.JPG
1Capture.JPG (49.91 KiB) Viewed 1983 times
2Capture.JPG
3Capture.JPG
Most I've seen for sale in the Bay area have looked like "$#!+" for about three times that much, AND with a busted mainspring (or other parts).

Joe

Torjazzer
Victor II

Re: Nice Fixer-Upper

Post by Torjazzer »

Common or not, it is still worth saving. Someone else on the forum once said that these machines deserve a second life and I agree. I don't see that many in oak and the cabinet is beautiful. At $125, even with a busted spring, I'd call it a deal.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

You have a nice machine and a great deal. With the spring repair, you still are ahead. That's the way to find them.
Harvey Kravitz

De Soto Frank
Victor V

Post by De Soto Frank »

I'll second Harvey's comment.

I grew-up with a VV-IX in mahogany... it's a fine machine.

I'm not sure I've seen one in oak.

I just saw a record-cabinet / stand for an IX in oak yesterday...

It's a available in south-central PA, if anyone wants details...

Frank
De Soto Frank

celticguitar666
Victor I
Personal Text: V V IXA ,Edison Amberola 30 Edison A150 Victor RE45 Radiola

Post by celticguitar666 »

They may be common but I rarely see one up for sale around here mostly the same old uprights in rough shape. I have the same machine in mahogany in really nice original shape I bought some 20 yo I rebuilt the sound box lubed everything up and it sounds great. I just wish I had bought the stand for it at same auction but I did not have the room for it in the car sigh. I wish they were as common as you say but like I say I have seen one and they wanted $350 in rough shape. I would like to get a storage stand for the one I have
Dwight :coffee:
Hippocrates: Life is short, art long, opportunity fleeting, experience deceptive, judgment difficult.

Joe_DS
Victor I

Post by Joe_DS »

Didn't mean any offense by referring to it as "common." :cry:

Actually, though I've spotted about a dozen or so in oak, during the past 10-15 years, and about twice that in mahogany. For whatever reason, they seemed to be popular in the San Francisco Bay area. (Easier to lug out of your house or apartment when the "big one" hits?)

As noted, these are nice machines, so hopefully, someone will snap it up. I think the cabinet is especially nice, and the finish looks to be original, though I can't tell, for sure. I'd go for it, myself, but living in the City, I don't own a car and haven't driven one for about 30 years. Getting to Petaluma by inter-city bus takes about six hours, factoring in the wait times.

Joe

VintageTechnologies
Victor IV

Post by VintageTechnologies »

That's a good buy, even with a broken spring. A new spring should cost you about $30. Replace the rubber reproducer parts and you'll have a solid workhorse machine. The motors are wonderful engineering. I just did a complete teardown and overhaul of one this weekend.

bingchen1
Victor O

Post by bingchen1 »

I'm going by the bay this week and might pick it up if I have time.