Is this a VV 8-30 ( Heading for the Dump)

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
flashpanblue
Victor III

Re: Is this a VV 8-30

Post by flashpanblue »

The owner of this Credenza has reduced the price to $50.00. The problem is that it weights in at 183 Pounds!! It is near impossible for two old guys to lift. How easy would it be to remove the motor board and motor, doors and lid etc to lighten it up. Does the back panel unscrew and come off? If I can't figure out a way to rescue it, it will be broken up and sent to the dump!
Pete

De Soto Frank
Victor V

Re: Is this a VV 8-30

Post by De Soto Frank »

Yes, the back panel unscrews, motor weighs about 30 lbs, lid another 10-15 lbs...

If you're getting it for $50, do you have any strapping youths in the neighborhood who would help move it for a few bucks / pizza ?

Yes, it should not go to dump !
De Soto Frank

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Re: Is this a VV 8-30 ( Heading for the Dump)

Post by FloridaClay »

$50 is a steal indeed! :o

I would be a bit leery of removing all the doors, etc. The doors protect the fairly fragile grille and if it has good grille cloth and you screw it up, you can't get duplicate material anymore. The back panels, assuming they are the same as on my Credenza, weigh next to nothing. All that just isn't necessary.

I would remove the crank and the motor board and the reproducer anyhow for safety in transporting them. Once the crank is out, you just remove the two large screws that hold the motor board down, lift it up and out, and the motor will will come out with it. Then go at it like you were moving a refrigerator or other big piece of furniture. Wrap it in a thick moving pads or some blankets with bungee cords around the cabinet to hold those on and keep doors/lid from flopping. Get a big furniture dolly, tilt it back on the dolly (probably on its side to make it narrow enough to get through doors) and away you go. Not that hard if you take your time unless you have some difficult circumstances such as a lot of stairs to negotiate. Of course you will need something like a step van or U-Haul truck. And if you go to a U-Haul place they will have the pads and the dolly available to rent.

And the advice to hire a couple of sturdy teenagers to help is good. Or maybe just see if there is someone in your area who does hauling reasonably.

Good luck!

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

De Soto Frank
Victor V

Post by De Soto Frank »

I'll second Clay's suggestion to leave the doors on.

My "new" 2-door Credenza has torn grille-cloth... :cry:

Hoping you can save it !

:clover:
De Soto Frank

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

As I say (and my late friend Jerry Donnell would say)NO WAY is that Credenza going to be a %#@%!! TV cabinet!! :evil: HEE HEE!!edisonplayer

Cody K
Victor III

Post by Cody K »

I hope someone will rescue this. I love a Credenza -- any Credenza. Definitely seconding (thirding?) Clay's advice about moving it.

"Two old guys" can certainly do it -- that's all it took to get mine up to the second floor. On the other hand, if strapping lads had been available, I'm sure we would have used them instead. Old guys can move anything if we put our backs into it -- it's just that our backs exact payment for the next few days afterward...:lol: :cry:
"Gosh darn a Billiken anyhow."- Uncle Josh Weathersby

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

When I got my Credenza from Jerry Donnell in 2002 I noticed that he had put casters on the bottom of the cabinet to make it easier to move.They did'nt look that great,so I ordered feet(bun feet was what the woodworking catalog called them,I forget the name of the company)stained them with walnut stain to match the cabinet,then put gliders on the bottom of the feet.A local antique dealer who's passed away now helped me with the project.You'd never know the difference!edisonplayer

Scott
Victor II

Post by Scott »

Pete,

What's the status of the rescue :?: It needs a good home.......

flashpanblue
Victor III

Post by flashpanblue »

Hello,
Unfortunately I had to pass on the Credenza. Just too heavy for me to handle. The seller emailed me to say that another fellow who collects radios and has a few machines was very excited to be able to rescue it.
Pete

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

flashpanblue wrote:Hello,
Unfortunately I had to pass on the Credenza. Just too heavy for me to handle. The seller emailed me to say that another fellow who collects radios and has a few machines was very excited to be able to rescue it.
Pete
Sorry it did not work out for you Pete, but really happy to hear it found a good home.

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.