Strange DD reproducer on ebay

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
rizbone
Victor III

Strange DD reproducer on ebay

Post by rizbone »

Not sure what the heck this is but it is interesting DD reproducer with what looks like the needle boxes from a Cheney machine.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-ORIGINA ... 3ce2e6d0cb
Attachments
ddrepro.jpg

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Re: Strange DD reproducer on ebay

Post by fran604g »

rizbone wrote:Not sure what the heck this is but it is interesting DD reproducer with what looks like the needle boxes from a Cheney machine.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-ORIGINA ... 3ce2e6d0cb
Hmmm...you'd have to set the height of it awfully high to use it. :shock:

Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

This looks to be some type of needle bar adapter designed to use steel needles or diamond & sapphire styli for different types of records. There appears to be a diamond and sapphire stylus in the box... Is this a home made invention or has anyone seen anything like this before? It seems difficult to imagine attaching anything to a stock needle bar, so it must have been custom made for the purpose.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

De Soto Frank
Victor V

Post by De Soto Frank »

Frightening, and yet strangely compelling...

:monkey:
De Soto Frank

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

I think that was probably a handyman's solution to a chipped or lost diamond tip. Looks old, so maybe before diamond styli were being reproduced? I wouldn't want to play any good record on it though.

Andreas

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

I agree with Andreas - a modification born out of necessity when the diamond broke off. One sees a lot of these types of things which were done back in the day in an attempt to keep these machines operating at a time where parts were no longer available. This person obviously understood the problem and the solution needed, but had no way to get the correct parts for the job, so he attempted to fabricate his own fix - which probably didn't work.

Jim

Edisone
Victor IV

Post by Edisone »

..with over $100 worth of curiousity about what it'll do to records.... If you could get the horn assembly high enough, it might work. I wonder how well Pathé records would survive under its attack .

Problem with most old musical items is that they continue to make some kinda noise long after they need serious repair - and 'some kinda noise' is often good enough to satisy people!