Large phonograph auction

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Large phonograph auction

Post by Curt A »

What I don't understand is why an auction company would have that type of specialized auction of July 4th??? Why not on the weekend when most people are back at home...? All of the NC collectors that I know were at an annual 4th of July get together and unable to attend the auction. No one in their right mind will buy any machine sight unseen from an unknown source online (unless it is cheap), especially after the infamous NC Jeffcoat auction in Raleigh, where supposedly high end machines turned out to be Frankenphones.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

downsouth
Victor III

Post by downsouth »

Curt, Apparantly I should know something more by tomorrow I hope. I just know that is a long way for me to travel for only two machines considering the circumstances. If I had legitimately won only the two and there weren't any other questions about other machines then that's on me. No problem there. But, when I have screenshots of four machines I placed bids on that say sold and on the same page there is my recorded left bid for a much higher amount something is wrong. I agree that I wouldn't sell my collection on a big holiday as there's just too many other reasons for the general public not to be there.

Wes

Ripduf1
Victor III
Personal Text: HORNS ROLLED & STRAIGHTENED

Post by Ripduf1 »

Hi Wes,
I am anxious to hear the "rest of the story". So what happened to your other bids?
John
Horns rolled and straightened

downsouth
Victor III

Post by downsouth »

I am going early in the morning to pickup the "two" machines I won. I'll give an update when I return.

Wes